+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repair wall and new skimmer

Default Repair wall and new skimmer

Have a 18 x 4 AG pool with a Lomart skimmer.

Going to replace skimmer with a hayward when I replace the liner.

I got a piece of 26 gauge Stainless sheet metal 19" x 16".

Looking at this the metal seems sort of thin. Also I will have about 4" overlap on the pool wall with this size.

Hard to find anything about pool wall thickness. Concerned if the thickness and my overlap is enough

Thanks for any help

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: Repair wall and new skimmer

Can you post pictures or drawings?

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

When I do this kind of repair, because the original skimmer may not be available any longer I get a 1.5-2mm piece of 316 stainless steal laser cut including the holes as that thickness can produce a nice radiused edge. This first one I did years back was the cut on the laser machine but I opted to drill the holes on site as I didn't know the hole positions, took me ages and a fair number of drill bits it was such tough plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
    When I do this kind of repair, because the original skimmer may not be available any longer I get a 1.5-2mm piece of 316 stainless steal laser cut including the holes as that thickness can produce a nice radiused edge. This first one I did years back was the cut on the laser machine but I opted to drill the holes on site as I didn't know the hole positions, took me ages and a fair number of drill bits it was such tough plate.
    Any reason to use that thick. Do you think the 26 guage I have will be ok?
    From what I can find this is a little thicker than a normal pool wall metal

Thanks

Hi Ray, taking more time to think this one through. In my case the SS plate was visible in the pool as I used the vinyl liner as a gasket. That meant I went for a thicker plate so I could get a good smooth radiused edge with no danger of anyone cutting themselves.

I maybe wrong but it sounds like you are going to repair from behind the liner therefore not on show so thinner would be more desirable?

I did one wooden structured pool from behind the liner and I used 1mm on that which still showed a slight bump but the owner was happy so if that is your plan then yes 26 gauge SS sounds fine.

Sorry for adding any confusion, maybe a picture when you have finished as it's a common issue affecting owners. If there is a shop near you that can laser cut and make the holes that would be worth doing as the thinner SS plate maybe even harder/dangerous to work with.

Hi Ray, just to add something. The reason I used the plate inside the pool and the liner as the gasket is that repair was done with most of the water in the pool.

+ Reply to Thread