+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frog System

Default Frog System

Does the chlorine cartridge packs contain CYA?

Part no.

Frog Bac Pac, 5051/5050, 01-03-5050 (CQ-06KT)

Default Re: Frog System

Mr Bill,
    Any chlorine that is put into a 'feeder' type device is probably stablized. I am not familiar with the frog products but does the chlorine say di-chlor or tri-chlor on the container? If so, its stabalized.
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

yes, they are trichlor tablets and they add CYA. I have a frog system but got tired of buying their expensive chlorine paks so I took out the mineral pack and the chlorine pack and just put trichlor pucks in the feeder. The good thing about the frog system is the dial is very sensitive and has a wide range that really allows you to adjust the chlorine feed in small increments. Just keep an eye on the CYA level whether you use their chlorine paks or buy your own pucks/tablets.

Whether the minerals actually accomplish anything I can't say. The theory is you run a lower level of chlorine with it, but with the CYA constantly going up I'm not sure that is a good idea in the long run. Works very nicely as an erosion feeder though.

-- john

My problem has been CYA. The level gets to 100+ pretty quick and then the chlorine doesn't work, then algae comes, drain the pool, buy more chemicals, etc

This is a viscioius cycle. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill
    My problem has been CYA. The level gets to 100+ pretty quick and then the chlorine doesn't work, then algae comes, drain the pool, buy more chemicals, etc

This is a viscioius cycle. What to do?
    Use bleach, like we do.

how fast does your CYA rise to 100 levels ? Have you been using the frog system for a while ? How often do you go through those chlorine packs ?

You can switch to bleach/liquid chlorine or use a combination of both. After you drain to lower CYA you may want to use a low setting on your frog to dispense trichlor as a steady supplement and use bleach for the rest.

I like the idea of having the feeder there to keep some chlorine going because at times I forget to add chlorine and that is a good way to get algae. The sun in socal really seems to use up chlorine fast so if you are not dilligent with adding bleach you could run into problems.

My CYA levels went from 30 ppm in April to 135 in about two months, but I was unknowingly using tri-chlor shock that was also contributing CYA.

I am switching over to non-stabilized shock (Na and Ca hypochlorite) but still want to use the FROG as you suggested. After draining my pool this week I cut the CYA in about half (50-60) with test strip. I ordered the Pool Solution kit on Tuesday and hope to closely monitor this in the future!

+ Reply to Thread