+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy Water

Default Cloudy Water

A few days ago I did a partial drain on my pool to lower my CYA levels. The CYA level was about 100 PPM. After the partial drain and refill, I added quite a bit of bleach and tested the water the following day and got the following results:

CYA = 35
    FC = 3.6-3.8
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 70
    CH = 90-100

I added calcium chloride to bring the CH up and I added sodium bicarbonate to bring the TA up. I also added 121 oz of 8.25 % bleach. I ran the filter most of yesterday and through the night. The sodium bicarbonate made my pool extremely cloudy.

Today my chemicals are as follows:

FC = 5.0 PPM
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 90
    CH = 190-200

I think these are good numbers, but my water is still extremely cloudy. I am assuming that this is from the sodium bicarbonate and the cloudiness will dissipate over time, but I just want to check here to make sure.

My pool is roughly between 20000 - 21250 gallons.

Should I adjust anything or just give it time?

Default Re: Cloudy Water

Those numbers do look good. Your original TA might have been fine where it was. Did you adjust it because you were having problems with pH?

I bet it is not the bicarb, but the calcium add which is causing the cloudiness. What type of pool surface do you have?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Honestly, I raised the TA because I thought 70 was low. I wasn't having issues with pH. It's a plaster pool.

Leave TA alone for now. I still think the cloudiness was from your CH add. (Assuming you don't have nascent algae). It is best to add calcium with low pH, like 7.2-ish. With your plaster pool, you want a CH at 250+.

Also, remember you can use a 10ml water sample for FC/CC and multiply your drop count by 0.5, (or divide by 2), to save on reagents.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Ran pump all night. Tested FC this morning, it's sitting at 4 PPM. Cloudiness still is very present, I can't see a tangible decrease in the cloudiness. When I put the baking soda & calcium in the pool, I think they reacted together. Could that be? I don't know, I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Leave TA alone for now. I still think the cloudiness was from your CH add. (Assuming you don't have nascent algae). It is best to add calcium with low pH, like 7.2-ish. With your plaster pool, you want a CH at 250+.

Also, remember you can use a 10ml water sample for FC/CC and multiply your drop count by 0.5, (or divide by 2), to save on reagents.
    Should I add muriatic acid to lower the pH to 7.2 to remove the cloudiness from the calcium? Thoughts?

It will take time to clear the calcium cloudiness, but lowering pH will speed the process. Sorry that happened, but no worries, it will get better!

+ Reply to Thread