+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should have Known Better

gfritz1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gfritz1 0

Default Should have Known Better

Yes I was Pool Stored Talked into trying ristine Blue as part of the install of a new liner after 30 years of exerience .Thie liner has been in a week and the issues have been daily and I am looking how to get back to the BBB method quickly and safely .I have used the Ascorbic acid treatment for stains, which sequestering agent in the past and it eliminated my stains on the fiberglass steps .

So the issue started with the ool place having outdated test capsules so the readings were always wrong an dthe result was add more Pristine Blue.After 4 days I started questioning this when mineral stains appeared on my steps . I checked and my level as ,9ppm of Pristine Blue .in addition the pook walls and bottom feel slippery and slimmy and they say its the release agents coming off the new liner.I diluted all weelkend and today Im at .3ppm of Prisstine Blue and Alk of 40 and Hardness of 60 and H of 6.9. I can continue to dilute or is their a better method .My ool guy told me not to add anymore Pristine Blue until next sat and use chlorine tabs in teh skimmer for no . Help me get back to BBB.Lesson learned Pool is 23000 gal ,inground ,DE filter vinyl liner
    16x32 rectangle 23K gal IG pool; trichlor feeder; Hayward HE-65 DE filter; Hayward 1.5 pump; 12hrs; Taylor Kit - can test FC-CC-CYA-ALK-Hardness; utility water;; PF:5.2
    Been on bleach since 2012

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: Should have Known Better

I'd say dump the pool guy, unless he is a family friend or something, first.

You have unfortunately added a bunch of copper to your pool, that is what is in most "Blue" products, which is a weak sanitizer of algae, no effect on bacteria. It sounds like you already understand that is what is staining your liner.

In regards to the numbers you posted, did you use your Taylor kit to get these? I don't know what "H" of 6.9 is. I have no idea how you get a measurement of 9 ppm for pristine blue, I assume you are testing for chlorine levels, or copper? What I don't see is a chlorine or FC number, or CYA.

Your options are 1: live with the copper in your pool and go back to BBB method 2: sequester the copper using another chemical and go back to BBB method 3: drain and refill and go back to BBB method.

With what sounds like a brand new liner that the pool store guy put in(?), if its his fault and the liner is damaged, have him fix it and pay for the drain and refill. Then go back to BBB method.

As far as going back to the BB method, read the sticky "Super Simple Pool Chemistry: or "Beginners guide to pool care".

gfritz1 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst gfritz1 0

PH 6.9 and FC or TC was 0 and the Pristine Blue or cooper level is now.3
    16x32 rectangle 23K gal IG pool; trichlor feeder; Hayward HE-65 DE filter; Hayward 1.5 pump; 12hrs; Taylor Kit - can test FC-CC-CYA-ALK-Hardness; utility water;; PF:5.2
    Been on bleach since 2012

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

I don't know what a desirable level of copper is, probably when you stop getting stains on your liner. Are you going to keep diluting or drain and refill.

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

You won't see a free chlorine number as most of the product is copper sulphate and a persulphate mix (MPS) so no CYA is required.
    Any chance of a picture? I played around with ionisers for a few years ( 6-7) by way of investigation of something I saw heavily criticised in the industry and got a right ear bashing from Waterbear. I did have regular lab tests done on water sample and I was surprised that the results were as good as they were.
    I used to run the pool at around 0.6ppm copper (there was also silver present) but what I learned is the ionised version of copper may measure 0.6ppm but there was a total copper level to and by the end that was up to 4ppm but no staining and no cases of green hair, throughout the experiment the pH was always towards 7.0-7.2.

What has always intrigued me is why some owners report staining issues very early on in the usage but that has always as far as I can be reasonably sure from copper sulphate based products and not from ionised versions.

I had quite a few discussions with Chemgeek over the years and when all is said and done there is a risk using copper based products that effects some pools and the extra cost of ionisers in my case or Pristine blue just doesn't seem worth it.

As to the release agent coming out of the liner, well that's a new one on me.

+ Reply to Thread