+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't stabilize ph

Default Can't stabilize ph

Whenever I add bleach my ph increase to levels 7.8-8.0. My cl is averaging between 6-11. I've been keeping the cl on the lower end since last year it smelled like bleach. It's a continues circle. How can I keep my cl good and my ph normal? My cya is 80. I've already added 2qts of MA since this started happening.
    14k gal AG pool, 150 sq ft cart filter. PF=8

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: Can't stabilize ph

A few questions:

1. What are you using to test your pool? Test strips, pool store, taylor kit?

2. What does your pH normally sit at, what is it "rising" from?

3. If using a Taylor or similar test kit, what are your other numbers? FC, CC, Alk?

Pools using chlorine will generally not smell bleachy unless the pool is dirty or fighting something, or immediately after removing the cover. My pool has almost no chlorine smell, except after a day of lots of kids in the pool (there is no "P" on my ool). After I shock it the smell goes away.

Hi thanks for responding. I'm using Taylor test kit. So far this year the pool don't smell bleachy. My numbers are ph 8.0 cl 6 alk 140. My ph is rising it seems whenever I add bleach. I'll add MA the cl within a couple days will drop then I'll need to add bleach then my ph is back up. It's a circle. What can I do to keep my ph stable when adding bleach?

The pool looks great just worried about ph being 8.0.

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Do you add anything else to the pool? How do you add chlorine? pH tends to go up with alk, so if your alk is high, your pH will want to be high. You could try dropping your alkalinity, some people get it down to 50-80 ppm.

I haven't added anything else. I just add cl to the skimmer/pump and let it circulate. How do I decrease the alk? Do they make a ph stabilizer? Usually I use the bbb method but I don't know if this fits in the bbb method. Thanks.

Hi cdingess,

How are you testing pH? With Taylor's phenol red drop test?

The CYA 80 ppm is a bit high, forcing you to maintain your pool with fairly high chlorine levels. Enough to produce a false high pH reading when using phenol tests.

It would seem like the pH is rising whenever you add bleach but it's probably just that the chlorine has affected the pH test. You could test this proposition by waiting to test pH when total chlorine falls below 5 or 6 ppm. Or borrow someone's pH meter to verify.

Or you could dilute your high-chlorine sample water sufficiently (with distilled water) to get a correct pH reading.

I think Taylor warns about interference with the pH test at chlorine levels above 10 ppm but my own testing leads me to believe the dark purplish color that affects the test starts at lower levels (maybe 8 ppm FC?)

"Do they make a ph stabilizer?"

Yep. Except you're already using it... Sodium Bicarbonate is a buffer, as is Sodium Tetraborate. I'm not sure TA 140 is high enough that I would want to lower it through the recommended 'Lower the pH and aerate' routine. It's a hassle and takes forever (a few days).

OTOH if your makeup water has much lower TA, it may be worth the time & effort to dump some pool water. This would lower your CYA, too.

Lastly, I assume when you say "bleach" that you mean sodium hypochlorite (liquid chlorine 5 to 12%) from the grocery or pool/hardware store. If you're adding other compounds, they could contribute to higher pH (not trichlor, which would just escalate your already high CYA).
    Last edited by polyvue; 07-02-2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: correct spelling
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue View Post
    Hi cdingess,

How are you testing pH? With Taylor's phenol red drop test?

The CYA 80 ppm is a bit high, forcing you to maintain your pool with fairly high chlorine levels. Enough to produce a false high pH reading when using phenol tests.

It would seem like the pH is rising whenever you add bleach but it's probably just that the chlorine has affected the pH test. You could test this proposition by waiting to test pH when total chlorine falls below 5 or 6 ppm. Or borrow someone's pH meter to verify.

Or you could dilute your high-chlorine sample water sufficiently (with distilled water) to get a correct pH reading.

I think Taylor warns about interference with the pH test at chlorine levels above 10 ppm but my own testing leads me to believe the dark purplish color that affects the test starts at lower levels (maybe 8 ppm FC?)

"Do they make a ph stabilizer?"

Yep. Except you're already using it... Sodium Bicarbonate is a buffer, as is Sodium Tetraborate. I'm not sure TA 140 is high enough that I would want to lower it through the recommended 'Lower the pH and aerate' routine. It's a hassle and takes forever (a few days).

OTOH if your makeup water has much lower TA, it may be worth the time & effort to dump some pool water. This would lower your CYA, too.

Lastly, I assume when you say "bleach" that you mean sodium hypochlorite (liquid chlorine 5 to 12%) from the grocery or pool/hardware store. If you're adding other compounds, they could contribute to higher pH (not trichlor, which would just escalate your already high CYA).
    My experience with the Taylor pH test kit has been the opposite from yours. As long as I take a reading immediately, I've gotten accurate readings with FC as high as the mid teens. The key being to take the reading immediately.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Interesting. I would estimate that for me the time elapsed between sample collection and the pH test is usually under 5 minutes. I almost always conduct a FAS-DPD chlorine drop test first, using a 'speed-stir'. Even with a color corrected daylight lamp, when the chlorine is high ( 7-8 ppm+ ) visually matching the pH of the treated sample to the color standards is challenging.

At the very high levels of FC that you're reporting --15 ppm?-- the sample appears to greatly exceed the highest standard (8.2 using midget comparator) and is dramatically purple. Yet dilution of the sample with deionized water seems to correct for this... my pool water typically varies from 7.4 to 7.8 pH in the summer.

Taylor recognizes this as a potential interference for the test in K-2006C kits but doesn't mention dilution of the sample. Just tells the user to 'wait'...

Sanitizer levels > approx. 10 ppm may cause a blue-purple color resulting in false high readings. Wait for sanitizer level to decrease to normal levels and retest to assure an accurate reading.
    http://taylortechnologies.com/produc...asp?KitID=2235

Nothing about pool chemistry surprises me anymore. The remaining mysteries are intriguing.
    16'x29' free-form 14K gal IG gunite pool; SWCG & sodium hypochlorite 8.25%; Hayward SwimClear C4025 cartridge filter; Hayward SP3202VSP TriStar Variable Speed Pool Pump; custom test kit based on Taylor K-2006C; city; PF:8.6

+ Reply to Thread