+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Salt System Questions

Default New Salt System Questions

We converted our system to salt the first of May. This is a Jacuzzi Saniclear 40 system. All has been Beautiful until last night. I check the water regularly and everything looks great. The Salt generator has been keeping the salt at 3400 PPM using 50% on the dial. Last night it had dropped to 1800. Then this morning I put one bag of salt in. After 4 hours the system then read 400. The check salt and the check cel lights were on. How can it drop so quickly? I thought this was suppose to be easy. It's Sunday so I can't call the pool company. I have the pump running and I left the system on auto. All of the pictures I see on line have the one large cel that is screwed onto the pipes. I can get one of the ends off, but someone tightened the other so tight I can't get it off. Then there is another small cylindar on the pipe above that looks like a cel of some kind too. I did get that off and wiped it clean, but I'm guessing the large cel needs it too in order for it to work again. I hope that is what is causing the problem. Any light you can shine on the situation would be appreciated. I will be calling the pool company tomorrow if I can't get this resolved.
    PF=5; 23K gal IG kidney vinyl pool, Triton II Sand Filter, Whisperflow VS Pump, Taylor 2006 kit, Jacuzzi/Carvin Saniclear 40 SWCG

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: New Salt System Questions

Salt is not generated, chlorine is generated by the cell using the salt you add to the pool. What are your chlorine levels? If the FC is remaining constant, then you can assume the SWCG is operating well. Can you test your salt in another way to see if the SWCG reading is accurate?

Sorry...yes I knew that chlorine is generated from the salt. Well, it appears that the system has shorted out. They came today to evaluate. They said it could have had a lightning strike, or a power surge...we haven't had a storm or any power surges in quite some time. He said he would send it back under warranty, but not sure they will cover it. There is only one little place on the plug that goes into the box that looked burned. How could just one little spot have had a problem. If it were lightning or a power surge, wouldn't the entire plug be burned? Anyway...they will replace it and I am praying the manufacturer will honor the warranty...60 days of use I sure don't want to purchase another one.
    PF=5; 23K gal IG kidney vinyl pool, Triton II Sand Filter, Whisperflow VS Pump, Taylor 2006 kit, Jacuzzi/Carvin Saniclear 40 SWCG

Another problem with the salt system tonight...the no flow light is lit...what does that mean other than the system isn't producing chlorine. I love the water with this system, but it seems that a lot can go wrong. This system is only a little over a month old. I still believe that the box mounted on the house gets really hot during the day. Any tips about care and maintenance for salt systems?

+ Reply to Thread