+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new ag pool- 1 week/clueless owner

Default new ag pool- 1 week/clueless owner

Hi
    DH wanted a pool and when we got it told me I was in charge of chemicals
    In his defense he is going out of town a few times so it is best I know.

I bought a drop kit after reading all the stuff on the forum. Not saying I know anything yet but I am trying. I also want to go the BBB method. We still have chemicals that came with the pool. The only chemical I purchased was a algae one that a neighbor recommended.

(From the drop kit)
    TC-5
    PH- 7.5
    ALK-275

(From the strips-sealed)
    Total Hardness-250
    TC-3
    FC-10
    PH-7.2
    TA-240

I am going to buy some bleach today and use the bleach calc. I took the puck out last night because I understand I am adding CYA at the same time. I think I need to lower the FC (I understand that this is probably only going to happen by a major draining- we tried a couple of inches but it would have to probably be more), I need at this time to add more chlorine, I also have the jet pointed upward to aerate to try and bring down the alkalinity but understand I will probably need to add borax. I am afraid to lose my ph when I do that. Is it safe for the kids to swim with TC levels and FC so high? I also have an aqua bug and ran it a lot yesterday and also have been manually cleaning. We keep the solar cover on it also. It is a 24 round.

Thanks- I wish I would have researched better before we bought the pool I am glad I found this forum. Seems like a great place.

tundraSQ is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tundraSQ 0

Default Re: new ag pool- 1 week/clueless owner

welcome to the world of pool water maintenance...its not nearly as hard as you may think. First thing i will tell you....there is NO need to go anyplace else for info on your pool than right HERE. Not the neighbor...and not the pool store...these guys have it down cold.

I would NOT add any borax...you want your PH down while you airate to lower your TA. You may in fact be adding muriatic acid to it to keep it low during aiaration...but for now just keep the filter running 24/7 with the jets breaking the surface...

next get bens kit....your FC/TC numbers are a little out of wack and I suspect the kit more than the water. You can't have a TC number that is lower than your FC number...so you should read read read and understand what the numbers mean...and soon the reall experts will be along to guide you to clear clean safe water.

good luck with it!!

TC=FC+CC or Total Chlorine = Free Chlorine + Combined Chlorine.

Free Chlorine is good
    Combined Chlorine is bad (it is chlorine that is bound up trying to remove some contaminant)

You don't have to drain the pool to get rid of free chlorine.

You need to know if your pool has CYA or Cyanuric Acid (also called stabilizer) in it. You need some or you will have a hard time holding your free chlorine through a sunny day. You need to know how much so you know how much FC you need to maintain.

You will need to address you alkalinity issue, but just holding your pH near 7.2 will be all you need. Normally with high alkalinity, your pH will tend to climb, so you will have to add muriatic acid to keep it low enough.

You may have some testing issues since your chlorine numbers don't add up. I would take a sample to a pool store and see what kind of numbers they get. Don't listen to what they tell you to add.

Hang in there, you don't have any urgent issues, so you have time to learn how to handle it. It's not hard.

tundraSQ is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst tundraSQ 0

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Don't listen to what they tell you to add.

x2

But PLEASE report back what they tell you ....people seem to get a kick out reading them

Hi

I went to the friendly pool store and he tested it with a strip. I asked if they do it another way and he said no. So I am going to see if another store tests differently.

His tests were similar- He told me to add muratic acid, stabilizer, and shock.

I should have wrote down his numbers.

I have been keeping a log since then and have managed to drop my ph from 8.4 to 7.8. I have read the lowering the alkalinity post many times and I think I finally understand it. I thought I was suppose to add muratic acid (according to the bleach calc) one time and wait. I misunderstood that I need to stay on top of it until I lower the ph but lower it slowly. I added more acid this morning. It was unchanged from 7.8 from yesterday and I added some last night. I did notice though when I did my alkalinity test that it almost changed at 10 drops instead of 11. I have a spa jet and have been constantly aerating.

My CYA and FC levels had been very high. I had stopped using the puck to try and convert to bleach. Since both levels dropped I did end up adding stablizer and shock.

This forum is great. I learn a lot each time I am here. The people are so helpful!

Thanks,
    Tamie

+ Reply to Thread