+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Pool Repair

Default Question on Pool Repair

I have to replace my liner, coping, cover, steps, etc... The pool had been neglected for a long time and it's in bad shape. Lot's of holes in the liner, I patch it on a regular basis. The liner is also sagging in numerous areas - I put stainless steel screws to keep it from completely coming down. Steps have holes & cracks that I epoxy, coping is coming up in several locations ,etc... However the water is clean, and we still enjoy the pool.

My question ... I've been keeping this going for a couple of years now and I had planned on continuing to repair it until it's un-repairable; meaning a catastrophic rip or something similar. Is this a bad idea? The pool is block construction. Some people have said that if the liner goes, it's going to be a more expensive repair - but I have to replace everything anyway, I don't see how. Maybe I would lose the pump if there is no water? Any thoughts on what I'm risking by not being proactive ?? - Besides missing six weeks + of swimming. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Question on Pool Repair

Why would you lose your pump? I am combobbled by that.

Sooner or later you're gonna have to do it. Sounds like it may not last the whole season anyway, and 6 weeks puts you in the heat of August when you REALLY want a pool. Just my 2 cents.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I'm thinking if the pool empties and i'm not there to turn off the pump, it will simply burn out. If I'm there, I would turn it off.

Ha! I understand now; shoulda thought of that. You could just run the pump for the hours you are home.

Are you planning a DIY on the liner and everything?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I'm definitely planning on hiring people to do this project - I do a lot of DIY stuff, but this one is not on the list. If anyone can recommend someone in the Long Island, NY area - I would definitely appreciate it. Thank you

I wouldn't think you would lose 6 weeks unless they need the pool empty to measure for a liner. Have you had anyone come look at it?

I have, but when I first moved into the house about 3 or 4 years ago. I was actually trying to find someone to help with the sagging liner, but nobody would touch it for a repair. So I got a few quotes for a liner replacement, steps, cover, pressure testing, light, etc... Basically everything. I also received a separate quote to replace the coping which is in pretty bad shape too.

I'm still thinking that I'm going to continue using the pool in its current condition and hopefully identify the company I want to use to do the work. That will at least save some time. I was also thinking about six weeks of down time. Thanks

If they can measure for a liner when full, (or have the original specs on file), I don't understand why it would take 6 weeks. Did they tell you why?

They basically said the amount of time would be dependent upon the time of year. Spring/Summer was the longest lead time, while fall was much shorter (and a little cheaper - as they give discounts for doing the work in the fall). I'm guessing six week if it were to happen in the summer, I could be wrong.

I do have a somewhat odd shaped liner - it's a T shape - 18 x 36 of deep water and a shallow, I forget the exact dimensions

Well, let us know what you decide to do!

+ Reply to Thread