+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PDF archive of entire Pool Solutions Site

Default PDF archive of entire Pool Solutions Site

I wasn't sure if I would be allowed to do this, so I'm asking first, but I know it will save my butt if things every decide to give up the ghost again and "disappear" with out any rhyme or reason in the future.

The collection of wonderful information that Ben (AKA Pool Doc) has amassed on his site PoolSolutions.com has been my go to resource for info when I forget things or am unsure before I even come onto the forum to search for answers. When it vanished with out a trace earlier this year a few times, it scared me because I didn't have any of it saved or available to review. That lit the fire for me to PDF every single page of poolsolutions.com for my own person reference, all 149 pages of it. I have combined them all, in logical order of info as linked within the website, into one single pdf file.

I would like to share that with everyone here via an link to my public dropbox space if allowed to, so that people can grab copies of it before it disappears again. I can't stress enough that this would only be for everyone's personal reference and benefit if or when it becomes unavailable again, and if and only if it would not be frowned upon by the remaining moderators and users here. Everyone has the power to do the same thing on their own, but why go thru the hassle when I did it already.

Any thoughts?
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

Default Re: PDF archive of entire Pool Solutions Site

If the moderators don't object, I would most definitely like a copy. I have kept my pool crystal clear for 3 1/2 years due to this site. If I have a problem this is the first place I come to.
    1 1/2hp Emerson 2speed pump, BBB
    27' round 19.3K gal AG Vinyl Liner pool; sand filter; pump: 24 hrs on low; Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine; utility water ; PF:6.9

How would I down load the file you have?
    1 1/2hp Emerson 2speed pump, BBB
    27' round 19.3K gal AG Vinyl Liner pool; sand filter; pump: 24 hrs on low; Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine; utility water ; PF:6.9

Lightbulb Re: PDF archive of entire Pool Solutions Site

I would have to post the web link to my public Dropbox folder. I'm waiting to hear back from one of the moderators on this before I proceed. It doesn't look like any of them have seen this posting yet. I don't know how to get their attention on it in here, maybe I should have posted into another section. Hopefully one of them sees this soon and can make a decision. Again, like I said earlier, I don't want to offend anyone or cause problems, this is just for us to have it as reference and not me republishing or anything. I want to be sure of permission before I post the link.
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

Watermom is offline Super Moderator Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

None of the moderators can give you permission to do this. We do not own the forum -- only Ben does. I agree that there is a ton of good information that it would be a shame to lose if this forum does disappear someday. But, even so, I have a feeling that it is probably not legal for you to do what you have proposed in your post above. Only the owner of the website who has rights to the information can give you permission and I highly doubt that he will be around to see your post.

I believe as long as you keep the information for yourself and don't distribute it there is nothing that can be done about having the information. I do wish the site owner would come back and do something with the site or even sell it off to someone that would like to keep it going. I have sent an email to the owner about if he would be interested in selling out to keep this site going but I haven't heard anything back so not even sure if its a good email address lol.

Watermom,

Thanks for checking in and clarifying that. I assumed it could possibly not be permitted, so I made sure to ask first. I guess if anyone wants that information, it is up to to them to do it themselves. From what I can find, copy and distributing is not covered under "fair use" in copyright laws, which also applies to webpages and I'm sure most people don't realize. I'm not looking to break any laws, at least not the copyright kind. Just merely trying to help anyone that might not have the resources to archive for their own use.

For what its worth, I have the info that I need and will continue to be present here and hopefully contribute when I can. I have learned so much, but still don't know as much as the collective here does, so I usually do more learning than contributing. I'm fairly tech savvy so I had hoped that I could possibly contribute some way that would have a great impact on those that are here still (archiving the pool solutions). But alas I see that has started to open an can of worms that I didn't intend on.

I do wish the Pool Doc would make some sort of appearance, but considering how things were last season, I'm not holding my breath. I remember seeing people mention archiving their own posts and relevant info the last time this sort of thing happened and everything disappeared for a little while. It finally motivated me to do the same this past spring when things when dark.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Technically, it is the author of each post that owns the copyright for that post unless the terms of service agreed to when joining this forum explicitly said that posts are put into the public domain and stated that the forum owner can copy or use them as they see fit. Ben only owns the copyright for what he wrote, be it in posts or as articles such as at PoolSolutions.

There exist Internet archives that make copies of posted content. Unless such content was withdrawn because it was embarrassing or had some other harm, keeping such content around in an archive is not likely to be considered infringement and instead would be fair use (DCMA adds some additional restrictions). Infringement on copyright requires some sort of harm, such as falsely claiming authorship or profiting from the copy or preventing the owner from profiting from it (the latter is mostly what DCMA is about).

Note that anyone can see most posts on this forum so there is no exclusivity an no payment for such viewing. A copy without a reference to this forum might be seen as harm from not having traffic come to this forum, but given Ben's absence that's a stretch and besides he doesn't own content except his own (unless the terms of service said such rights were given up).
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Thanks for the input Richard (aka Chem Geek). That's a very interesting take on things. It would be very clear as to who the information belongs to and who is the author of it, given that it is exactly as viewed on the pool solutions website. 100% the same information with all references and such maintained. It's the same info as what is already out there in the public. I simply transformed it into another medium. specifically, one that can be viewed offline. The information is already available to anyone that wants it by visiting the website. If it shuts down, there is a likely chance that this forum would shut down as well, including any link to the pdf.

I think it is fair to say that anyone could do the same thing that I have done to print out the webpages for their own personal use or save them how ever they see fit. I just saved them the work of doing so and organized everything relative to what is already out there. It's not like I'm transmitting confidential or proprietary information out to the public that not everyone has access to. Given that anyone can do this on their own for free, what happens when someone does this work for them, again, for free? I.E. me taking the time to print everything for free and make it available to them for free, while retaining the original author's references and such.

This boils down to me not wanting to step on anyone's toes or start some sort of trouble between myself and anyone on this forum, including moderators, and especially Ben (despite his continued absence, also coincidentally the driving force behind saving and archiving his info for when it decides to disappear again). What I take from your post is that doing so would not be any sort of copyright infringement, which was the main concern that was brought up previously, and therefore not a problem to proceed?

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

You'd need a definitive legal opinion for your question and I am not a lawyer. However, saving already public content for people's personal use for something where there is no fee nor profit and no obvious harm seems pretty safe.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread