I got my pool last year and, aside from having very hard well water, I didn't have any problems. I put polyquat in the water before closing the pool last fall. I covered the pool, and when we took the cover off this spring lots of water and debris slipped off of the cover and into the water. We tried to syphon most of the water off of the top of the cover, but it was unavoidable. So I ended up with a lot of dirt and leaves at the bottom of the pool. Also, the water was already over 60 degrees when I uncovered the pool. Therefore, algae may have already started growing before I could get the pool completely filled, chemicals in, and the pump going. It was finally warm enough to get in the pool this weekend. I removed the leaves and debris and vacuumed the pool Saturday. I waited for the dirt to settle and vacuumed again on Sunday, and again on Monday. Still, the water is cloudy and a fine dirt settles on the bottom. I have had the pump going 24/7 and have backwashed it numerous times due to the amount of gunk coming out. I've had to continue to add more well water because I'm backwashing so much. I got the TFTest Kits TF-100 yesterday and did a few of the tests. The FC=3, CC=0, TC=3 and CYA was over 100. I read about mixing equal parts of pool water and tap water to test for higher CYA levels, and I will try that tonight to get an accurate reading. I tested the water last night after dark and again early this morning and the numbers were the same, so I'm not losing a lot of chlorine, but is that because the CYA is so high? How can I know if I'm dealing with dirt or with algae? What else can I do to get the water clear? Am I just being too impatient?