+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Levels Way Off!

Default Levels Way Off!

I had a mishap upon removing the cover that resulted in lots of debris clouding the pool. Several vacuums have cleared it up for the most part, but still slightly cloudy and a green substance (algae I assume) ringing along the bottom edge and stairs. Took a test trip and pH, TA, and Stabilizer all are at lowest level on the strip (FC is OK.) A trip to pool store reveals that phosphate is thru the roof! Not about to buy phosphate remover! What should I do to get levels to normal and clear up water? I'm not that experienced in chemistry - don't even have a test kit, just strips - my only treatment for the last few seasons was weekly shock treatment and a chlorine disc, and water was fine! Thanks!!
    Steve Romo (6700g AG, Cartridge Filter)

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: Levels Way Off!

Around here it is recommended you get a good test kit. At least get the HTH 6-way test kit from Walmart, but even better is the Taylor K2006. Going by the pool store is just asking them to sell you stuff you don't need, and test strips are very inaccurate.

A "chlorine disc" will not add just chlorine to your pool, but also calcium, and maybe also CYA (stabilizer). Stabilizer is good, but unlike chlorine, which you have to constantly add to your pool as it is oxidized, CYA does not need to be constantly added. If the CYA gets too high in your pool, all of your chlorine becomes stabilized, and you will struggle with algae blooms.

With a good test kit you can be checking your CYA and get it to a good level for you based on the "Best Guess" chart on this forum. There is an appropriate ratio of chlorine to CYA, based on your CYA level. Some people like higher CYA for sunnier climates. I keep mine at 50ppm, which means I keep my chlorine levels at around 5ppm.

Agreed. You really need the kit. I would go with the Taylor K-2006C as it contains the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You need one or the other for sure! For now add a half jug of bleach in there while you get at least the HTH 6-way KIT, not strips.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Agreed. You really need the kit. I would go with the Taylor K-2006C as it contains the FAS-DPD chlorine test. You need one or the other for sure! For now add a half jug of bleach in there while you get at least the HTH 6-way KIT, not strips.
    +1!

IMO, having a good test kit is mandatory! Without reliable testing you are simply flying blind, guaranteeing a frustrating and expensive pool ownership experience. And no, pool stores don't provide reliable testing. Don't believe it? Take the same water sample to different stores and see what happens (I did this).
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

As everyone else has said- get a good test kit. Taylor 2006 is what I use. You can't go wrong with it. I like to keep my CYA around 60 and I do run my chlorine a little high- 8 to 10. With the Taylor testing kit and this site I have had a crystal clear pool for 3 1/2 years. Nothing but trouble before that using pool store test kits and their chemicals.
    1 1/2hp Emerson 2speed pump, BBB
    27' round 19.3K gal AG Vinyl Liner pool; sand filter; pump: 24 hrs on low; Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine; utility water ; PF:6.9

Thanks for the replies. In the process of getting a kit.
    Steve Romo (6700g AG, Cartridge Filter)

We promise that you won't regret buying it as long as you use it!!! We will be here to help whenever you need it!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread