+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CC higher than FC

Default CC higher than FC

Hi all, I opened my pool about two weeks ago and am having a hard time clearing up the water. It looks milky green and I suspect it has something to do with the chlorine levels. I just tested before this post with these results.

FC = 1
    CC = 1.6
    TC = 2.6
    TA = 110
    CH = 150
    CYA = 50

My last test on Tuesday had similar results with the exception that CH was at 100.
    I've never had a CC reading higher than the FC. I first thought my CH was too low, but at 150 it's the same as it was last year. Any help will be appreciated.
    25k gal pool, 18 x 36, 3' to 8' depth. Vinyl lined. Single speed pump

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: CC higher than FC

Your CC is high because your chlorine in combining with something (algae, bacteria, organic stuff). You need to get your FC up to "shock" levels according to the best guess chart for your CYA level and keep it there until you are able to hold chlorine overnight. Use bleach, 8.25% strength from walmart will raise your FC up about 3 ppm or so? (Sorry, my bleach calculator on my computer doesn't seem to be working!)

As far as your CH, for a vinyl pool you really don't need to worry about it, unless it is way too high, which your is not.

The one number you didn't post is your pH. That's an important one too.

Ooops. forgot to list PH. It was at 7.2 at testing. Probably a little higher this morning. It makes sense now. There is a fair amount of organic debris in the pool that snuck under the cover. I've got 12.5% shock ($2.49 a gal at Menards) I've got the pool calculator bookmarked so I'll keep cleaning the pool and keep the FC up there until things clear.

Thanks so much.

Your shock level is 15 for FC. Get it clear!

Here is the link to the best guess chart:
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best...ine-chart.html

Once you pass the overnight test, I would aim for an FC of 6. 3 is your absolute minimum. I would never let it get below 4.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Well there's nothing like heavy rains to mess up balancing the pool. My PH is out of whack this morning. The good news is my FC is 15, CC is .8. PH is high now, but I'll get that straightened out quickly. My last two passes with the pool cleaner brought up much less organic material. I'm making progress.

Are you using a 25ml sample for your FC/CC tests?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I've always used 25 ml for testing chlorine. I've only used the 10 ml for the calcium test.

That's fine. While you are at shock level, you might want to consider the 10ml. 30 drops vs 75 is a bunch, especially if you are testing a lot. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    That's fine. While you are at shock level, you might want to consider the 10ml. 30 drops vs 75 is a bunch, especially if you are testing a lot. Just a thought.

At high FC levels I've even used a 5ml sample (1 drop = 1ppm) to save reagent.

For normal everyday testing I use a 10ml sample. I never use a 25ml sample for FC. IMO, unless you're running FC really low, the .5ppm resolution 10ml sample size offers is fine.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Being one of those people who has to have his checking acct balanced to the penny, I probably go overboard on wanting accurate tests. I took your advice today and went with 10ml samples

That being said, I'm confused today. My water is still a cloudy light green. I'm not stirring up much organic material when I brush or run the pool cleaner.
    My readings look right to me. Am I being impatient???
    FC= 9
    CC=.5
    TA = 100 - 150. (my last 25ml test was 110)
    CH= 150
    PH = 7.0
    I'm assuming my CYA is still around 50

+ Reply to Thread