+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CC higher than FC

Default Re: CC higher than FC

You need to keep FC at shock level until all 3 of these conditions are met;

1. Water is clear, no visible algae
    2. CC is .5 ppm or less
    3. Overnight FC loss is 1ppm or less.

Right now your FC is too low. Shock level for 50 ppm CYA is 15.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

JimK is absolutely correct. I was just about to say the same thing! I'm glad your CC's are coming down.

Can you raise FC to shock level more than once a day? The more you keep it at 15ppm, the faster it will go.

Do you have a sand filter? You could try adding some DE to it. I can send you a link about how to do it if you're interested.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Agreed. Fighting algae without getting to shock levels is sort of like fighting a large house fire with a garden hose. You will put out some flames, but your house will still burn down. Bring in the big guns and put it out!

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Although you are a "tester" the most important part you should deal with is adding bleach, lots of bleach very regularly get it up around 20ppm+ and maintain it there until it goes all nice and clear again. Then begin the balancing or summer will be over.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    JimK is absolutely correct. I was just about to say the same thing! I'm glad your CC's are coming down.

Can you raise FC to shock level more than once a day? The more you keep it at 15ppm, the faster it will go.

Do you have a sand filter? You could try adding some DE to it. I can send you a link about how to do it if you're interested.
    I can add bleach in the morning before I leave for work and again when I get home. Obviously, I'll test each time. What does DE do for a sand filter? I'm always willing to learn something.
    25k gal pool, 18 x 36, 3' to 8' depth. Vinyl lined. Single speed pump

Quote Originally Posted by beaverplt View Post
    I can add bleach in the morning before I leave for work and again when I get home. Obviously, I'll test each time. What does DE do for a sand filter? I'm always willing to learn something.
    DE helps the sand filter out finer particles. You have to be careful that you don't add too much and clog the filter. I believe you add a little at a time until filter pressure goes up 1lb. Btw, I have no experience with sand filters. I've only ever had a DE filter.

Does someone else here have the link to the DE procedure for sand filters?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Here are the step-by-step directions:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/3742

You can buy 25# of DE at Home Depot for about $20 and it will takes years to use it all up! Just make sure it is "diatomaceous earth" for pools. Pooltime is the brand that Home Depot carries.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Here are the step-by-step directions:

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php/3742

You can buy 25# of DE at Home Depot for about $20 and it will takes years to use it all up! Just make sure it is "diatomaceous earth" for pools. Pooltime is the brand that Home Depot carries.
    Thanks. I figured you would have it.

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

I learned the hard way that you have to WAIT after adding DE to see how much the pressure will rise. Add a little bit, then wait 20 minutes to see if your need to add more. Last summer I stood there adding DE like a mad man until the pressure rose 1 lb, and then I came back that evening to find the filter completely clogged.

So I've gone a week keeping my FC above 20 and still have the milky green/brown water. It seems like I'm getting a lost of dead algae (light brown water) out when I backwash, so I'm not sure that the filter is the problem. But after giving it a week, I'm going to try the DE. I did find that my local Ace Hardware carries 12 lb boxes of it for about $12.
    25k gal pool, 18 x 36, 3' to 8' depth. Vinyl lined. Single speed pump

+ Reply to Thread