+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cya levels

Default cya levels

I opened my pool this year to NO cya, as usual.

What used to be a 2 pound bottle is now down to 1.45 pounds. I added with the sock method. How long should it take to show up?

My k 2006 test kit shows a little cloudyness, but I can still easily see the dot. I got more re-agent last year and it is kept in the garage out of sunlight, so I assume my test results are accurate.

Should I add another 1.45 pounds? or wait a few days to make sure it is dissolved?

I opened the pool last weekend to brown water, started shocking with 12% liquid chlorine from Ollies ($3/gal)
    Went to green in 1 day, then cloudy the next , to not quite clear the next day. Pretty good results with just bleach!

last test showed:
    My tc was about 10.5
    ph 7
    alk 70.

I added about pound of borax, and will add some baking soda to try to raise alk to at least 80.

AG 12,000 gallons.
    ---Dale
    24' round 12K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; hayward sand filter; pump; 24hrs; taylog k2006; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl no water bags; ; PF:10

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Default Re: cya levels

I am at work so I can't check to be sure, but I think the Taylor titration tube for the CYA test only tests as low as 30 ppm? So no CYA tested by the Taylor kit doesn't necessarily mean no CYA.

I add CYA with dichlor through my filter, and it always takes 2-3 days for it all to dissolve and give me an accurate reading. I am not sure about the sock, but if its a granule I would think it would take a similar amount of time.

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

I'm pretty sure that the general recommendation here is to wait a week between CYA doses.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

I ended up waiting a week by not getting to the store! I am adding another bottle of CYA, so we'll see how that goes.
    24' round 12K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; hayward sand filter; pump; 24hrs; taylog k2006; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl no water bags; ; PF:10

You most definitely will need to add more acid. It will most likely take 1/2-3/4 bottle to bring up to 50-60. As for the alkalinity, it is my understanding that with an above ground vinyl pool you don't have to worry to much about that since you are at 70. If it was me, after I got the CYA up I would shock with 8.25% or 10% bleach. Should clear up the cloudiness.
    1 1/2hp Emerson 2speed pump, BBB
    27' round 19.3K gal AG Vinyl Liner pool; sand filter; pump: 24 hrs on low; Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine; utility water ; PF:6.9

What is your CYA goal? You mentioned a bottle.

Did you add liquid CYA this time? If so, it will register quickly.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread