+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algae under vinyl pool steps

Default Algae under vinyl pool steps

I have been battling algae in my pool since I moved into my house. This pool had been neglected for many years and I'm still dealing with the repercussions. One issue that I cannot solve is that I have algae underneath my vinyl pool steps. The reason I know this is because I've patched some cracks in the steps and when I push down on it, I can see some green/yellowish material come through. I'm very confident that this is mustard algae and it's impossible to fully rid the pool of it until I eliminate this colony. I doubt there is a solution to this besides replacing the steps & liner (which needs to be done) but was curious if anyone ever experienced this before or had any ideas. Thanks

Default Re: Algae under vinyl pool steps

Haven't experienced that. Assuming the steps are permanent, how did you seal them? Maybe a different product?

I am wondering also how badly you need a liner. Maybe a PB could just replace the steps for now and delay the liner a year or two? Just thinking out loud...
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Thanks for the reply. It's a strange situation. I used some kind of underwater epoxy on the cracks of the steps - They are permanent. I can find out the name if you need, I have more of it. I definitely need a new liner, it's like swiss cheese. I spend a lot of time with my scuba tank putting patches over holes all over the place.

I believe i'm dealing with a mustard algae and it's found refuge behind my light and I think on the back side of the vinyl steps. I've been keeping the thing going with duct tape and chewing gum for several years now knowing that everything needs to be replaced - I'm just waiting for something to happen that I can't fix or rig. It will happen soon. Thanks

Ugh. Well, I would start saving your pennies! In the meantime, are you going to try more epoxy?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Yes, it will be a big expense and I am preparing for it. As for the steps, I use the epoxy whenever I see a crack or hole or anything that looks to be a leak in the steps. It's an underwater epoxy and it's worked pretty well so far. The main issue is when someone steps on that area the pressure will sometimes dislodge the epoxy patch and I have to reapply, but that's rare.

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Can you bore several holes in one side of the steps with a hand auger and one larger one (just big enough to fit your vac hose end into) in the other side? If so, you could hook up the pool vac hose to the side with a single hole to circulate the water under the steps while shocking the pool. I don't know if this would work or not, but it might give you a way to eliminate that problem.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Thanks for the suggestion. I've decided to deal with the algae and fight it with chlorine and brushing. Adding holes to this pool at this point will just accelerate the inevitable. The liner & steps are like swiss cheese.

+ Reply to Thread