+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 50 ppm Borax

Default Re: 50 ppm Borax ?

Well, I didn't create the formula it uses, that's for sure. It was a huge post on the old forum that outlined the chemistry behind it. There was a discussion about decahydrate vs pentahydrate in there. I wish I would have saved it, but I didn't. I do believe I have the math about here somewhere if I can dig it up.

Michael

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: 50 ppm Borax ?

Quote Originally Posted by mwsmith2
    Well, I didn't create the formula it uses, that's for sure. It was a huge post on the old forum that outlined the chemistry behind it. There was a discussion about decahydrate vs pentahydrate in there. I wish I would have saved it, but I didn't. I do believe I have the math about here somewhere if I can dig it up.

Michael
    probaly the easiest way to check it is to use bleachcalc to get a certain ppm increase and then test with the strips to see if it is in the ballpark.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Default Re: 50 ppm Borax

According to the "Alex" printout, you need to add 1# Sodium Bisulphate for each 2# Borax. 1 Qt. Muriatic acid = 2.5 # Sodium Bisulphate.
    Henry
    Last edited by Henry3; 06-17-2006 at 05:40 PM.

This seems like a good idea to raise the borate level to the 50 ppm level and creating an algistatic state. I found a patent from 1986 claiming borates are also algicidal: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4594091.pdf
    (does such reading belong in "The China Shop"?)

One last thing 20 mule team borax comes in 76 oz. boxes, coming to 4.75 lbs., so if you overshoot the dose is there any harm in putting in too many borates?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Henry3
    According to the "Alex" printout, you need to add 1# Sodium Bisulphate for each 2# Borax. 1 Qt. Muriatic acid = 2.5 # Sodium Bisulphate.
    Henry
    According to Proteam's literature on Supreme you need 3/4 lb (12 oz by weight) of sodium bisulfate or 10 oz by volume of muriatic acid for each pound of Supreme (Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate)
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread