Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So sad, a leak in my just finished pool ...???

ValAZ is offline ** No working email address ** ValAZ 0

Question So sad, a leak in my just finished pool ...???

18x35 foot diver - built it myself

Started up the pool Saturday night after it filled, and this afternoon I had 4 tiny squirts in one area coming from between the top of the tile and the deck. It's in the return line. I'm assuming I *just* have that section of concrete jacked out and fix the pipes?

I'm wondering when this might have happened, and have a question. After the shotcrete was done the workers cut the pipes. Is this usual for the shotcrete sub to do? I wasn't expecting them to do it, thought the cleanup crew did it at the end, but having no experience, I didn't question it. I'm wondering if they might have damaged the pipes and cut them to cover it? I'm hoping not - that would be mean.

I'm thinking this is where the GC ends up eating some profit - and that I'll just have to pay the deck sub and plumber to fix this, and that no warranty will cover this. Does that sound right?

My last question is this: If I run the pump with everything open - waterfall, bubbler, aerator and returns - the leak is just a couple of spots dripping. Until I get this fixed, do I run the pump like this to keep the pool clean, or am I risking further damage to tile or new plaster by doing so?

Valerie
    Last edited by ValAZ; 04-02-2006 at 10:24 PM.

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

I had such a leak in the pool we just had completed in December. I believe that the GC made the deck sub pay for the leak detection and plumbing work as he apparently drove a frame stake through the return pipe (they were able to tunnel under the deck to get to the leak).

Unhappy Did you run pool till it was fixed?

How soon did they get it fixed from the time it started, and did you run it till they did? I shocked it to be sure chlorine was high enough, and hope to get by running it as little as possible. I'd hate to lose it, but am not sure if it is ok to be running it with a leak.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

If you can shut off the flow to that return you should be OK until you get it fixed. You can isolate the problem by shutting off the valve to that return and putting a rubber stopper in the return line like what you do during winterizing so that water pressure from being below the water level at that return does not force your pool water through the leaking area.

Post No return valve

I have a looped return system, so I can't turn off that specific return ... and I'm not sure I can even turn off the returns at all. I have valves for everything else, skimmers, aerator, bubbler and foundtain, but not for the returns. I must have been given the "plumbing for dummies" set up? If she can't turn it off, she can't break it?

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Val, Mine was a huge leak in a 2 in. return line so no, I could not run the pool. It took about three weeks to get the leak detection people out as they were booked pretty solid. It took another couple of weeks to get the leak repaired.

I was able to temporarily reroute my negative edge plumbing through the filter so I was at least getting filtering in the interim.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Now that I think of it I can't shut off my returns either. My bad.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Red face Box is full, hope you're subscribed

ValAZ, posted below is the response I tried to send you to a private message you sent me.

Just had my IG pool done a week ago, and there's a leak in one of the return lines.

First question: do you know of any reason why a shotcrete sub would need to cut the caps off of the lines which are under pressure? Mine did - and now that I've got this leak, I suspect they did to cover up that they punctured or cracked a line.

Second question: I am concerned about running the pump and water getting behind the tiles and down into the plaster, which is 7 days old. Would this cause damage? I am not running it, and it is going to be 4 - 7 days before I get all of this fixed. In the meantime, I am brushing the pool even though it's not getting filtered.

Valerie[/QUOTE]

Valerie, I'm never too busy to help the members of the poolforum - it's the least I can do as repayment for all that I've learned. Unfortunately, I have zero experience with the 'cut the pipes after the shell is shot' school of plumbing which is why I didn't coment when I saw your post on the forum. I see you plan on doing a little digging this weekend - a good idea because whoever fixes the leak will probably be charging you 'time and materials' and the digging will take the most time. If you discover the source of the leak and think you might want to tackle it yourself, I and others from the forum will gladly walk you through the process.
    As for running ther filter, I think you're best off not running until the leak is fixed, lest you etch the new plaster (it needs to be kept wet, but doesn't like direct pressure while it's curing). Keep up with the brushing, unfortunately you can't filter out the liberated 'stuff'. As an idea, I don't know how feasable it would be for you, some pool service companies (and hotels with pools) have portable vacuums (pump and filter on a hand truck)- might it be possible to get a service company out to do one vacuuming with one of these(or rent a hotel's unit for the afternoon)? - Just a thought
    Anyway, thanks for the confidence in me - sorry I couldn't live up to it ;(
    - Ted A/K/A: Waste
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Thanks for the reply

We dug as far back as we could, but the deck there is 4 feet wide and we are just not going to be able to get to it. We'll have to knock out a section of the deck and then see what we've got. Boo hoo - temps are in the 80's now and we want to swim! The deck sub said they'll cover it if it looks like they did it, and told me to backcharge the shotcrete sub if it looks like their mistake. Just hate it when you get that *odd* feeling about something, don't act on it, and then later find out you should have, ya know? I should have capped those pipes back up under pressure again ... I'll know on the next pool! = /

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Val, it's not your fault! Don't flog yourself over it. Are you sure you can't dig it out yourself? It's your pool and you came here to not have to rely on the pool companies. If you can't do it, please post what they propose, I'm still trying to save you a few $.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Closed Thread