Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: So sad, a leak in my just finished pool ...???

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    I know that 2 couplings and a peice of pipe could fix it, but... how would you get the pipe into the second coupling? When dealing with a 'fixed' ridged pipe, you don't have the room for the 1&1/4" slip fitting. 'No hub couplings' -A/K/A Fernco's- would work, but I usually use 4 90's, do you have a better way? ( If you could tell me it, it would be a real help) - Thanx
    Cut your replacement pipe about 1/8" shorter than the pipe your cut out. Use a SLOW set pvc cement. Apply liberally onto all pipes and slip fitting couplers. Place couplers on both ends of replacement pipe and slip into place and then move couplers to the desired spots. The trick is the slow set pvc. Hardens in minutes instead of seconds. I am no professional. But this technique has worked for me.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Question Re: So sad, a leak in my just finished pool ...???

Quote Originally Posted by stever13
    Cut your replacement pipe about 1/8" shorter than the pipe your cut out. Use a SLOW set pvc cement. Apply liberally onto all pipes and slip fitting couplers. Place couplers on both ends of replacement pipe and slip into place and then move couplers to the desired spots. The trick is the slow set pvc. Hardens in minutes instead of seconds. I am no professional. But this technique has worked for me.
    It took me a few minutes, but I finally got what you were saying. The coupling you are talking about is a true 'no hub coupling' (the ones I was thinking of were black rubber sleeves, held in place and made water tight by clamps.) . I've never used one, nor do I know where to find one. I've only used 'hubbed' ( they have the 1/8" 'pipe stopper' in the middle of them) couplings - whence the 1&1/4" requirement in my last post. Is it sch 40 PVC?
    For some reason, I am leery of those beasts (though I have NO reason to think that they won't hold or do the job) - call me a conservitive
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: So sad, a leak in my just finished pool ...???

Hey, Stever,

I'm with "waste". I understand what you're saying but where do you find those couplings? I've never seen them. Even if you "burred out" the pipe stopper of a standard coupling, the coupling is tapered into the center and the pipes would not slide freely within the coupling.

I am familiar with a "repair fitting" which is about 7" long and does slide freely over the pipe. It is threaded and that allows both sides of this "repair fitting" to clamp down tightly onto the existing pipe. It's about 8-10 bucks at home depot.

All that said, it sounds like you're talking about something different. I can't quite picture how it makes a good pvc bond without the coupling being tapered.

And "waste", if you're saying you're leery of those rubber connectors with the O-clamps on each end, you have good reason to be. They are very, very marginal for suction side connectors and I wouldn't consider one for a pressure connection of any type. Drain pipes is the only suitable application, IMHO

Dave S.
    Last edited by duraleigh; 04-15-2006 at 06:54 PM.

ValAZ is offline ** No working email address ** ValAZ 0

Default Re: So sad, a leak in my just finished pool ...???

We're dealing with everything y'all are talking about right now.

We had lots of family coming over for Easter, wanting to swim - so I decided to do something about that pipe myself. Dad came over and figured there was no way we'd be able to get a splice into the return pipe using two couplings, so he put in a compression coupling. Trouble is the crack was longer than the comp coupling, so he added a length of pipe a couple of inches long using a coupling, then the compression thing. We didn't use glue on anything, figuring when the plumber *finally* makes it out, he can do whatever he needs to to make this thing right. ("I can be there next Wednesday ... well, maybe next Friday .... call me on Wednesday ...") So far, no leaks from the temp fix and I am able to run the pump/filter now so I got the stabilizer in and the water looks fantastic now. Family had a ball on Easter day.

When Hector shows up to fix the leak permanently, I'll let you know what he does.

We've got about 5' of deck that was taken up to get to this, so we uncovered that much length of pipe. Trouble is the crack started about 6 inches from where the shotcrete surrounds the light - so naturally, the pipe is in the shotcrete and doesn't allow for any give in the pipe to pull it up. We'll see what the plumber does with it.

Good news on the shotcrete sub, though. He couldn't believe his crew cut the return pipes after shooting the pool, and I assured him they did - I have the pictures. He said there was absolutely no way they'd do that ... I told him the foreman was probably already on some kind of "probation" for his job and figured he'd be fired if he called the cracked pipe in ... so figured he had nothing to lose. Anyway, Bill the owner told me that since the concrete section was only 4'x6' he'd cover the costs - fix it and send him the bill. Yeah, sending him the bill and him sending me money are two separate things, but we'll see. He was nice about it, at least.

I'll keep you updated! Thanks for the encouragement and info.

Valerie

Closed Thread