+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: clorox performance bleach

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Re: clorox performance bleach

I know this is not a new thread,,, but CHECK the DATE CODE!!! I was a Garden Department manager at a Dallas, TX area Home Depot, and there were times that the "pool chlorine" that was available for sale had been sitting OUTSIDE in an overhead bin for 18 months! In Dallas, that means it had been close to 100 degrees Fahrenheit more than a few times, and over 100 F more than once. Not a good thing. I fought with upper management to correct this and FINALLY was able to cancel the "AUTOMATIC" order and send back a BUNCH of unneeded chlorine. BUT,,, I'm not there anymore and I don't know who is fighting, and who isn't. I buy bleach from Aldi, because it seems to be the best RELIABLE source, at the lowest cost, for FRESH chlorine.

I know my pool volume, and I can accurately test my pool chemistry, both are highly important. I can tell you that, based on my test results, Aldi bleach exceeds its concentration claims, slightly. I suspect they downgrade the claim due to turnover rate, but my local store has a HIGH turnover so,,,,,,.

BTW, I do not work for Aldi now,and I don't expect to work for them. Also, I get NO benefit from Aldi in any form or fashion other than inserting my quarter to get a basket, and getting a great price on good quality products.

I am not compensated.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Aldi has a high turnover rate so it is always fresh. I get great deals on 12.5% because there is a bottling plant close to me, but in a pinch, Aldi is a great option!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Thumbs up Re: clorox performance bleach

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I saw this for the first time in my local Walmart today. It was $2.50, which is a great price. I generally use Walmart bleach, which is 8.25% in a 121 oz bottle for $2.94. That works out to be $0.29 per oz of chlorine. That's quite a bit better than my pool store, which sells 12.5% in a 128 oz bottle for $6.25. That's $0.39 per oz.

Today, I noticed that my local Walmart had liquid chlorine for pools in the garden section, with their other pool chems. Per the label, it's 10.0% sodium hypochlorite in a 128 oz bottle for $2.50. That's just under $0.20 per oz of chlorine. Best price I've ever seen. I bought 6 gallons, but haven't tried it yet, so don't know the actual effectiveness. Just wondering if anyone else has used this stuff and would share their experience?
    I can also confirm finding Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid @10% Sodium hypochorite for $2.50/gallon at my local Walmart (Central PA area, Altoona). I don't even know what took me into the pool section, as I was only there for Great Value Bleach, but after finding it, I promptly took back all 6 gallons of GV Bleach @ 2.94/gallon and replaced with the 10% stuff.

This seems like the best deal I can find on chlorine. None of the local pool stores sells the liquid stuff so getting a reusable carboy is not an option. I wonder if this stuff is accurately labeled, wanted to test it to see if indeed it's 10% as advertised, but didn't get the time yet. I also wonder if this is something new they just decided to get, or the fact that their shelves were usually empty of bleach each summer made them wise up and start carrying what the customers want?
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Interestingly, I posted earlier in this thread my local Walmart didn't carry the Pool Essentials stuff, but my wife decided to check this week and there it is, newly stocked! I haven't checked to see the date stamp on it yet.

I just looked at the date code on my bottle last night. 16 118, or April 28th normally, April 27th this year because of Leap year! So my stuff is roughly a month old.

I don't think it matters much in my case and so far seems to be working just fine with my test numbers showing results. I need to find time to test the potency and see if its running true to 10%. Either way I doubt it would be significantly lower than 10%, or lower than the Great Value 8.25% Bleach I'd been buying for $2.94/gal which still leaves me in the good since it's only $2.50/gal.
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

A month is fine. They usually start over % so you're likely close to stated strength.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

I checked last night and the time stamp was 16 124. Love this forum, wouldn't have found that if someone didn't bring it up here. At 2.50 a gallon for 10% strength, that's the cheapest I can by chlorine locally.

Quote Originally Posted by gagan View Post
    Thanks Toybuilder and JimK.

On the same line, I was at walmart and saw this item in my local walmart: Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid.
    It has 10% Sodium hypochlorite... So I assume stronger bleach. I haven't seen this mentioned before... Anyone thought on this?
    That new one at Walmart is labelled at 10% while the one at Costco (Clorex) is labelled 8.3%. Despite the labelling the Clorex is about 14% stronger than Walmart. I determined this by filling 2 buckets with 2 gall of water ea and adding the same number of drops of CL to each from Walmart and Costco. Using a Taylor droptest kit the free cl from the Clorex bucket was 3.5 ppm whereas the Walmart bucket came in at 3.
    This brings the effective prices to $3.50 gall from Costco and $2.84 from Walmart after adjusting for the actual strength difference. I find Costco more convenient as there are 3 jugs to a box so it makes transport and storing easier.

+ Reply to Thread