+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Places you've ordered replacement vinyl liners from...

Default Places you've ordered replacement vinyl liners from...

We've had our pool for 12 years, and it is time to replace the vinyl liner. We have a family member who worked in the pool industry for years, 2 of which he spent replacing liners. So we're not looking to hire a pool dealer or company to come do the work. We just need a place to buy a quality liner that will last as long (or longer) as the previous one did.

Are there any places I should avoid? Or more importantly, have you had good luck with any online vendors/suppliers that you would recommend?

Ours is an in-ground, 18' x 36' pool with an 8' deep end and fiberglass stairs at the shallow end.

Much appreciate any advice or suggestions you have.
    18'x36' rectangle 26.7K gal IG vinyl pool; In-line chlorinator; Hayward Pro sand filter; A.O. Smith 1.5 hp pump; 24hrs; Test strips right now, will be getting the K-2006 kit shortly; utility water; summer: Sometimes use a solar cover; winter: mesh; ; PF:4.5

Default Re: Places you've ordered replacement vinyl liners from...

Sorry, Frazzled. I can't help. Does your family member know how to measure for a new liner? That is the critical step.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Sorry, Frazzled. I can't help. Does your family member know how to measure for a new liner? That is the critical step.
    Yeah, he's not only worked on the installs but also the prep work in getting the pool measured out and working on replacing all of the faceplates and returns to make the pool look brand new. I have seen liners online that are 28/20 mil for $950 and up, whereas the local pool dealer would charge me $2100-$2200 just for the liner alone. I can't imagine there is much difference in the quality of the vinyl that would create a 100%+ markup in the price.

Maybe I'm wrong however.
    18'x36' rectangle 26.7K gal IG vinyl pool; In-line chlorinator; Hayward Pro sand filter; A.O. Smith 1.5 hp pump; 24hrs; Test strips right now, will be getting the K-2006 kit shortly; utility water; summer: Sometimes use a solar cover; winter: mesh; ; PF:4.5

I don't really think it's a matter of quality with the mark-up. Replacing a pool liner is labor instensive so that's most likely it. They have to account for removal, scrubbing down the sides with chlorine, cleaning lights, replacing fittings, repairing any floor issues, retaping side-seams, lots of guys to install, partial cost of pumps and shop-vacs, and a buffer for when things go wrong. There's probably not a huge profit margin.

Have your family guy get some friends to help and give a great BBQ afterwards!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    I don't really think it's a matter of quality with the mark-up. Replacing a pool liner is labor instensive so that's most likely it. They have to account for removal, scrubbing down the sides with chlorine, cleaning lights, replacing fittings, repairing any floor issues, retaping side-seams, lots of guys to install, partial cost of pumps and shop-vacs, and a buffer for when things go wrong. There's probably not a huge profit margin.

Have your family guy get some friends to help and give a great BBQ afterwards!
    Sounds like a plan. I'll be the guy who will be helping because I can do grunt work...I just don't know the ins and outs of replacing a liner. And remember, that $2200 price was for the liner only. The total would be around $3800 with labor included from the pool shop. I know they need to pay their guys, but that seems like a bit much. I'd rather throw burgers and steaks on the grills for the couple of days this will take and pay my cousin for his efforts that front the guys who try to sell me every garbage chemical in the world.

It's great you have that resource.

Sorry, I don't have any experience or knowledge about ordering liners. I am following this thread because our liner is 12 years old (this is our first pool) and probably will be looking to replace it within a few years (hopefully we'll get a few more years out of it; it still appears to be in good shape).
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Yes, please keep us informed. My understanding is that there are only a few manufacturers of liners out there and several companies that re-market them and/or sell discontinued patterns. My 2 year-new liner is "seamless". They overlap the seams so you don't get those white lines between each section. It cost a little more, but I like the look.

+ Reply to Thread