+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Getting Calcium Levels Right

Default Re: Getting Calcium Levels Right

Btw, since you have a plaster finish pool, you'll want to pay attention to the CSI number in the link I provided.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

So glad you are at 7.2! Always be conservative with additions. Better to undershoot than overshoot!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    So glad you are at 7.2! Always be conservative with additions. Better to undershoot than overshoot!
    +1
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

^+1
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Should I bother trying to raise my TA? It's currently 40.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarcum View Post
    Should I bother trying to raise my TA? It's currently 40.
    If your pH stays stable and your CSI is good, then I wouldn't worry about your TA number. I suspect though that you may end up needing to raise it some.

PH holding steady at 7.2

When I plug all my numbers into the calculator the CSI say -0.91 -0.52. That seems to be indicative of something bad but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do to fix it.

I'll throw in my two cents for what it's worth.

From what I was told (by chem geek), your CSI should be between -0.3 and +0.3. I try to shoot for the middle of all the recommendations on that page. For your setup I would probably go with:

FC - 3 or 4
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 80
    CH - 300
    CYA - 40

Assuming no SWCG and with a temp of 65 your CSI would be -.11 which the calculator will tell you the water is balanced. If your water ever got up to 100, your CSI wold be +.19 which would still be balanced. Right now with the current numbers you've input, "Corrosion of plaster is likely". If you go the other way and your CSI is +.3 or greater "Scaling is possible".

I played with that calculator quite a bit to figure out what would be best for my spa and for the pool. Seems to be working out pretty well for me.

Figure out what works best for you and then try to hold those numbers.

Hope I didn't over step my boundaries. Good luck!
    36'x20' Freeform, IG - 13k gal, Spa - 800 gal, Diamond Brite, Intelliflo VS pump, TR-140C sand filter, Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 2HP Whisperflo pump (waterfall), Pool Pilot Digital RC-42 SWCG, K-2006 Test Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post

From what I was told (by chem geek), your CSI should be between -0.3 and +0.3. I try to shoot for the middle of all the recommendations on that page. For your setup I would probably go with:

FC - 3 or 4
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 80
    CH - 300
    CYA - 40

Assuming no SWCG and with a temp of 65 your CSI would be -.11 which the calculator will tell you the water is balanced. If your water ever got up to 100, your CSI wold be +.19 which would still be balanced. Right now with the current numbers you've input, "Corrosion of plaster is likely". If you go the other way and your CSI is +.3 or greater "Scaling is possible".

I played with that calculator quite a bit to figure out what would be best for my spa and for the pool. Seems to be working out pretty well for me.

I would add to be careful not to go too low on the FC. 3 is at the lowest end recommended for your CYA; it leaves no room for error. I'd shoot for mid recommended range, so about 5ppm.

Quote Originally Posted by Toybuilder View Post

FC - 3 or 4
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 80
    CH - 300
    CYA - 40

I don't understand how to change the CSI though. Are you saying if I hit all the all numbers the CSI will just fall in line?

+ Reply to Thread