+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting Calcium Levels Right

Default Re: Getting Calcium Levels Right

I was able to get pure CYA (Clorox brand) and CH up (Also Clorox brand) from Walmart. I bought 4 pounds of the CYA and 15 pounds of the CH. According to the container each 1 pound of CYA raises 12,000 gallons by 10ppm. Each pound of CH up raises CH by 10 ppm in 10,000 gallons.

Currently I show my CH at 100 and CYA at zero.

Would you agree that it's safe to add 2 pounds of CYA and 10 pounds of CH... wait 24 hours and test again?

That looks pretty good, however, I wouldn't bother testing CYA again for at least 4 days or so. It takes a while before it will show up accurately on a test and you definitely don't want to overshoot on either CYA or CH.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

On a completely unrelated note, maybe I should start a new thread but... I'm noticing that two of the jets that send water back in to the pool from the filter don't look right. Typically the water entering the pool is almost undetectable however from two of the jets the water appears to be mixed with a lot of air. I hadn't noticed this before today, of course I also haven't been looking at the pool over the winter. Could this be indicative of some type of issue? Here's a video of what's happening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJDn1QeIIns

Oh my. That's a lot of air.... Is there any air in your pump basket? Have you lubed your o-ring lately? Do you have a bleed-valve on your filter? I am not very good at pump stuff and will see if I can get someone to chime-in.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

There is something that appears to be a pressure release valve on the top of the filter. I'm not sure what O-ring you are talking about but I've not lubed anything.

Well, I would try the pressure relief valve for sure. I always turn mine on after I get any air into the system, usually after I clean the pump basket.

The O-ring is inbetween the pump basket and its clear cover. As they start to get old, some pool lube (not vasoline), helps. Eventually they need to be replaced so that you can get a good seal.

Thanks, I will try those two things when I get home today. I have some food grade lube that is used to lube the seals on my margarita machine, I'll confirm it's not petroleum based and use that. LOL

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Its normal to have some air on the pressure side on start up and after depressurizing to clean out the basket, but without a continuous feed of air it should eventually stop as the air is pushed out. If the air bubbles are continuous, then you have air being sucked in on the suction side, either at a fitting from the skimmer to the pump or the pump basket. You should be seeing air bubbles in the pump basket. The O-ring is the first thing to check, then check all you fittings and lines for air leaks.

Your pump could also be cavitating if there is a constriction or blockage on the suction side. Make sure the skimmer basket is clean and valves are all open, and the lines are clear of debris.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

A pump should not lose prime when it is off. So the only time you should see air out of the returns on start up is if you have solar. On solar drain air fills the lines and that needs to be purged on startup again. However, that should stop after a few minutes. So if you don't have solar, then it is likely an air leak on the suction side of the pump.

Also, to correct a misconception, when a pump cavitates, it does not produce air out of the returns. It produces water vapor in the impeller which then quickly collapses within the impeller as pressure rises so no net air is produced out of the pump.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

You guys are amazing! I greased the O ring, cracked the pressure relief valve, closed the ozonator ran the pump a few min and and this is what it looks like afterwards: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6nP1wJ0Xftw When I turn the ozonator back on and close the pressure release valve I do get a tiny bit of air bubbles but I think that's to be expected since the ozonator injects air into the pump. Even then there's 95% less bubbles than the first video I posted.

+ Reply to Thread