+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bleach calc ??

Question bleach calc ??

Hi,
    I guess I am really a pool idiot because I don't understand the bleach calc thing. I get the pool size (gallons, I am presuming). What do I put in the chlorine % - is that what the percentage is now when I test it? Then I'm supposed to put an amount in the quantity of bleach? How am I supposed to know that? Can someone tell me what exactly I'm supposed to enter into the blanks so I can figure it out? Is this calculator telling me how much I need to keep in there to keep the chlorine at a certain level? Thanks, I feel so stupid asking these simple questions!!

Kathy

Default Re: bleach calc ??

The chlorine percent is what percent sodium hypochlorite you are adding. Bleach is usually 5.25% or 6%. Pool stores will carry 10% or 12.5%. You will find it somewhere on the jug.

The calc tells you how much to add to get to a certain ppm goal.

Say you input your pool gallons (assuming you set the default so it's not metric, right? ) You test your CL, and you need to add 2 ppm of chlorine. Using the calc, you put in 2 ppm and the strength/% of the bleach you plan to use (like ultra clorox is 6%) and the calc will tell you how much you need to add to get 2 ppm in your pool.

Sherra is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher Sherra 0

If it says (Gal.) under "Pool Size" then yes, it's gallons. If it says (L) then it's calculating in metric units and you'll need to go into the settings menu and change to imperial units. The Bleach Strength is the % of sodium hypochlorite in your bleach bottle (usually listed under ingredients or in the "warning" area of the label). Then you enter EITHER the PPM increase you're trying to obtain or the amount of bleach you've added. Then the calc with give you the OTHER calculation (the one you DIDN'T enter) when you hit the "calculate" button.
    Sherra
    Kershaw County South Carolina
    18x34 IG 2' radius rectangle vinyl liner (approx 27,500 gal) 1 1/2" pipes installed March 2006
    (previous AG pool owner)

+ Reply to Thread