+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: filter/pump problems - pool newbie

Default filter/pump problems - pool newbie

Hello,
    I moved into my house over the winter and I'm trying to get the pre-existing pool going. Before this I knew NOTHING about pools.

My pool is 30x15 and an est 15k gallons. It's an above ground pool but it is somewhat in ground. It has a deep end and to me it seems like an in ground pool. I have a DE filter and a 1.5 hp pump. It seems the system is fairly old. The first time I plugged in the pump it spewed water out of the hose which connects the filter and pump. So I replaced that one and the pump worked but not much came out of the jet so I replaced all the hoses cause they seemed pretty leaky. The water at this point was pretty green. I got the filter going pretty good and actually had it going for several hours and then I read that you shouldn't run the filter without DE in it. Woops. So I put DE in and the pump pushes water but it doesn't seem like much. The pressure shoots up to 20psi but sometimes fluctuates up and down pretty rapidly (from 10 to 20 psi). It generally runs at 20psi. I thought that seemed high so I opened up the filter. The filter elements were covered with green crud, I'm assuming this was DE covered with algea. So I hosed them off thoroughly and put them back in and put DE in. It still runs about the same. The pressure goes up to ~20psi and the water flow isn't great.

So my question is, could my filter elements be screwed up? I read you shouldn't run it for more than a min or two without DE and I ran it for several hours with a really dirty pool so it seems maybe I did. I'm pretty close to saying forget it and just going and getting a new system, a cartridge one as they seem to be the easiest to maintain. It seems that would be better than buying new filter elements for $35 each, especially since the pump/filter seem to be pretty old (man I wish I would've asked the seller for info about the pool!).

thanks a lot,
    Ryan

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: filter/pump problems - pool newbie

Hi, Ryan,

It sounds like your issue is with algae....you've got to get that killed and out of your pool.

If you could post test results for :

Free Chlorine
    Combined Chloramines
    pH
    Alkalinity
    CYA

That would help us all from guessing and we can get your pool cleared up. I am assuming from your description the pool has a vinyl liner. Is that correct?

PS - If you get a new filter and ease of maintenance is your primary concern, get sand.
    Last edited by duraleigh; 06-14-2006 at 04:38 PM.

DE filters are so good at getting small stuff out of the water that they seem to require almost constant attention when fighting an algae problem. You may have to work on it every 15 or 20 minutes for a while. Get your chlorine level up and kill the algae or it will get worse.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Ryan,
    Welcome to the forum. The advice you've gotten so far is good. I just want to comment on your statement about cartridge filters being the easiest to maintain. In my opinion...a definite MAYBE. I have only ever had sand. I believe cartridges would have the same problems you're experiencing now with plugging during an algae bloom, and, they are expensive to replace and a pain to clean. The opinions about which type of filter is best has been discussed to great extents on these forums over the years. Unless you are a total clean freak, sand may be the best way to go. Cheap to maintain as there are no replacement parts unless damaged, and just backwash, rinse, then switch to filter and go. Cartridges and DE do filter smaller particles but a few of us have been adding a little DE to our sand filters to get the best of both worlds and it seems to work. So, bottom line, if you are considering changing out the equipment, do a lot of research here, post with questions, then make a very educated decision.
    Al

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

There is no "best" filter system--all 3 can be very effective. There is a best for ME, CarlD--that's sand. My dad's best was DE. Other members LOVE their cartridges.

There is a wrong filter--that's the one you HATE and wish you hadn't bought.
    Carl

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is a vinyl liner. The pool at this point is not green, it's "blue". The water is pretty cloudy (I can't see the bottom even in the shallow end) but the green that was there is now gone. It's been that way ever since I had the water tested and put chemicals in (that's a whole other story/problem) which was about a week ago. So do you still think it is algea?

I don't have the numbers but just using a test strip this is what I get:
    Chlorine is very low to low
    pH is low to ok (6.8-7.2)
    alkalinity is low to ok (40-80)
    Cyanuric Acid is low

When I first went to the pool place and had the water tested all my numbers were way high but they had me put in too much and then all my numbers were way low! The last thing I put in was 10lbs of "soda ash". I've also put shock in multiple times (including this morning after doing the soda ash yesterday) and still no chlorine. I was looking at this as a separate issue than the filter/pump but maybe it's not?

Is it not likely that my filter grids are screwed up from me running the pump for a while with potentially no DE in the filter? If I put too much DE would it cause this problem?

That is interesting that you're saying cartridges are not as easy as sand. I definitely got the impressing cartidges were easier from what I've read on various sites. The concept of it seems easier to me for some reason.

thanks again for the help
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ryanm
    That is interesting that you're saying cartridges are not as easy as sand. I definitely got the impressing cartidges were easier from what I've read on various sites. The concept of it seems easier to me for some reason.
    Until you have to clean them, cartridges are easier. With sand, to clean you turn a valve, let the pump run for a couple of minutes while sipping a drink, shut the pump off, turn a valve, let the pump run a minute or so while sipping a drink, shut the pump off, turn a valve, turn the pump on and go swimming. IMO, cartridges are the hardest type of filter to use and sand the easiest.

Ryan,
    Keep the DE Filter bro! The reason the pressure keeps rising is because that 5 micron filtering ability is getting bogged down with that cloud of dead algea in the water. Just clean the filtering elements the best you can and then fire it up. Make sure your adding the DE through the skimmer and not directly into the DE filter before turning it on. Then wait for the pressure rise and repeat. Spend all day Saturday and by the end of it you should have a clean pool.
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

So I'm going to need to keep opening up the filter and hosing them off or just backwashing? Let me see if I have backwashing right. My filter has three in/outs. One has the output from the pump going to it, the other outputs to the pool and the third has a valve on it which I can open to drain it. Is just opening up this third valve and draining it "backwashing"? From what I have read it seems there is more to backwashing than just draining.

The time I opened it up and it was all green, prior to opening it I drained it and the water was all cloudy/green but now if I just let it drain a bit (for like 10 seconds) the water stays pretty clear.

thanks

Yes that is your backwash valve and when you get a pressure rise of 5-8 lbs then you want to backwash the filter until the water runs clear. Basically you are reversing the flow and sending all the gunk that is caked on your grids out in the yard. Once the water runs clear shut down the equipment again, set the valve back to filter, start up the equipment again and then add like 75%-80% of the required DE in the skimmer with filter/pump running. Check that the pressure returned to normal and you are all set.
    ** When it is REAL nasty you may have to open it up and actually clean the filter elements but if the pressure drops to normal and does NOT immediately rise back up you should be fine with backwashing.
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

+ Reply to Thread