+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Ben's Phosphate Project

Default Re: Ben's Phosphate Project

Chem Geek: which phosphate kit should I get? The 1106 (I think that's what you have), or the 8005?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

JimK just told me that I would need a colorimeter for the 8005. Guess that's out....!!!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

I know LaMotte has some low priced kits etc but not personally used them.
    http://www.lamotte.com/en/water-wast...ps/3021-g.html
    http://www.lamotte.com/en/pool-spa/k...kits/3466.html
    Passivpool Energy A++ rated pool, the most efficient in the world! 24ft x 12ft, 12000 gallons I/G vinyl lined pool, variable speed pump 0.08hp,(30-60 watts) running 24/7. AFM glass media 24" sand filter, Strantrol chemical injection

Okay. Still ready for this project!

Glad to hear it
    Passivpool Energy A++ rated pool, the most efficient in the world! 24ft x 12ft, 12000 gallons I/G vinyl lined pool, variable speed pump 0.08hp,(30-60 watts) running 24/7. AFM glass media 24" sand filter, Strantrol chemical injection

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Chem Geek: which phosphate kit should I get? The 1106 (I think that's what you have), or the 8005?
    The Taylor K-1106 is one I have used. Note that it only measures up to 1000 ppb, however. To test higher phosphate levels, you can dilute with distilled or de-ionized water or with any water you know has no phosphate in it (municipal water supplies frequently add orthophosphate as a corrosion inhibitor). I have also tried the LaMotte Insta-TEST which tests phosphate in the range 0 - 2500 ppb. I have also tried the AquaChek Phosphate Test which tests 0 - 1000 ppb. I like the Taylor one the best, but they all measured reasonably close to each other.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Great, thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    The Taylor K-1106 is one I have used. Note that it only measures up to 1000 ppb, however. To test higher phosphate levels, you can dilute with distilled or de-ionized water or with any water you know has no phosphate in it (municipal water supplies frequently add orthophosphate as a corrosion inhibitor). I have also tried the LaMotte Insta-TEST which tests phosphate in the range 0 - 2500 ppb. I have also tried the AquaChek Phosphate Test which tests 0 - 1000 ppb. I like the Taylor one the best, but they all measured reasonably close to each other.
    Good to know about the dilution trick. I recently tested the water from the tap (city water) using the Taylor kit and was surprised to see it appeared to be between 500 - 1000 ppb. I didn't expect city tap water to be that high.

Next weekend I plan to open the pool. This time I'm going to test phosphates in the pool; I expect it will be very high considering how high the tap water tested and the fact my pool is on a steady diet of Jack's Magic Purple Stuff. The dilution trick should come in handy for this.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; I put together individual Taylor kits that combined is the same as the Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

My tap water is typically in the 300-500 ppb phosphate range. That's pretty typical for municipal water districts adding orthophosphate for corrosion control though some add 1000 or even 2000 ppb phosphate.

It is the lack of adding such orthophosphates or similar corrosion control chemicals into the water supply in Flint, Michigan that led to excessive leaching of lead from older pipes from the chlorinated water. The core problem was switching the water source from Lake Huron to the Flint River where the latter water was more corrosive to begin with but Flint also switching from using chlorine to using monochloramine because that results in lower downstream disinfection by-products. However, monochloramine can be more corrosive because ironically it's not as strong an oxidizer as chlorine. Chlorine tends to oxidize metal pipes forming a passive metal oxide layer that inhibits further metal corrosion (high levels of chlorine keep corroding the metal anyway, but lower levels slow down from the metal oxide layer). With chloramines, the oxide scale that is formed is more soluble, at least with iron and lead -- with copper there isn't much difference. This technical memorandum goes into further detail.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Part of what surprised me about my results is the water quality report from our water utility plant reports an average of about 220ppb phosphates. I was very careful to follow Taylor's directions for testing, so it leaves me wondering why my result was so high. I didn't let the faucet run a bit before taking a sample.....maybe this had an effect (though I don't see why)?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; I put together individual Taylor kits that combined is the same as the Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread