+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SWCG + variable pump

Default SWCG + variable pump

I installed Hayward SWCG 3 years ago. With my single speed pump (1/2 hp) running 7 hours, I had to bring the percentage down to 40% in order to maintain proper chlorine level.

Last year, I installed Hayward variable pump + solar heater system.
    I'm finding I have to turn it up to 100% for the entire 10 hours in order to barely maintain CL level.

Does anyone else have similar issue?
    is my Hayward cell going bad? or does the amount of water flowing SWCG makes that much difference?
    25k gal IG pool

Default Re: SGCG + variable pump

Sorry, I don't know much about SWCG's. From what I have read, two things come to mind. The higher your output is set, the shorter the life expectancy of the cell. Also, I have read that SWCG's need enough flow to generate chlorine properly and I am wondering if you are operating the pump at low speed and that is the issue.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Are you sure you are not fighting algae? What level of chlorine are you trying to maintain? Does it drop quickly between cycles? If it does, either your are fighting something or your CYA is low. If it doesn't, its probably something mechanical, like your cell (they do go bad) or what FBU mentioned already. Running the SWCG at 100% is going to kill it right fast, so I would be supplementing with bleach. Posting a full set of numbers might help the mods answer your questions.

As long as is enough water flow for the SWCG to come on, you shouldn't have to crank it up like that. I take it you're not getting any no flow warnings from the SWCG?

Like others mentioned, my guess is you're fighting something or the cell is getting ready to die, or perhaps the cell needs to be cleaned.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread