+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Subcontracting your own pool project?

Default Subcontracting your own pool project?

I live in Orlando and recently had a pool built by a local company. Our relationship turned adversarial after I signed on the dotted line and things didn't going smooth to say the least.

Anyway, I realized that the pool builder subcontracted each step of the way.

Pool Layout and dig
    Rebar / Steel
    Gunite
    Plumbing
    Tile / Pavers
    Pool Finish

Well, my sister is looking to have a pool built I was thinking about helping her subcontract the different parts of the job and essentially build her own pool.

I also found this link from Bella pools, who essentially helps the homeowner build their own pool. I guess you can save between 15 - 25 percent.

http://www.bellapools.com/

Any thoughts on this idea or Bella Pools?

Thanks!

Default Re: Subcontracting your own pool project?

I live on the east side of Orlando in Avalon Park and one of my neighbors is using Bella Pools to help her design and subcontract all the steps for the pool construction. She told me she was very happy and it is taking a lot less time and money to build than the other pool down the street that is being build by a regular pool company. I will be doing a pool in a couple months so please let me know what your experience is with them.

beary is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst beary 0

Since I'm in the middle of it, it is hard to say, but I would think twice about again. I'm and engineer and like doing that kind of stuff. I find myself checking in on the sub contractors and making sure I get what I want more than my pool contractor. On the other hand, my pool contractor knows the good and bad subcontractors and has already save me a lot of money.

Here is what I would do if I were to start this again. I am finding that many of the good contractors are a fireman who does this part time. I would find one and talk with him on the idea of him helping me build a pool. I'm finding they know who to subcontract and who not.

I would still be leery because my pool contractor has a good experiences with subcontractors and he can get them, NOW! I don't think that could happen if it were just me, at least not in the summer busy season. Now maybe in winter.

However, this wouldn’t be for the meek. I find most folks are pretty stressed during the build even with using a pool contractor. It would be pretty scary on your own. Who would you blame?

beary

We recently did our 1st pool (12K gallon IG) and I have a friend of a friend that retired from the pool business . He encouraged me to be my own GC and sub everything out. The savings was not enough (was about 10%) in order for me to deal with it. I am a mechanical engineer and I am sure it is rocket science but like the other guy said, I dunno diddly squat about good verse bad subs etc. Plus I would think that as a one time only customer I would not get as good service compared to most subs who do lots of work for pool guys, so schedule would be longer . Plus, I had no idea what the details and quality control requirements are, dug hole looks like a hole to me and have no idea what is required , so I would pay they guy after he made a hole, the the shot shell, same deal, what if down the line the plaster guy said"this shell is worthless" and I paid the shell guy and he was long gone...that sorta of risk was a HUGE downside. All that added up I bit the bullet and paid a pool guy to do it and I am happy with that decision for me.
    Last edited by mneal; 06-15-2006 at 11:12 AM.

I would never hire a pool contractor do build a pool for me. Two years ago when I was building my pool my pool builder went out of business, I lost a lot of money and had to hire another pool company to finish it. I wish I hired them or U Build It for the pool. It looks like this Bella Pools company does a lot like U Build It. I am building my house with U Build it and I am very happy, they help you build your own home through finding you qualified subcontractors. I would never do this without their help! Let me know what you come up with because when I am done with my house I am doing a pool.

I used Bella Pools for my pool and they are the best of both words... they help me with the design and picking out the workers, and they helped me like a pool builder with the inspections but I saved a good amount of money. I was able to get some feaures I was not going to be able to afford by going with a pool contractor.

ValAZ is offline ** No working email address ** ValAZ 0

You can get an good idea what it will involve by taking a look at www.howibuiltmyownpool.com

http://www.dixieswimmingpoolsdisputeinorlando.com/

I found this site the other day.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I acted as my own GC on my pool. It's true it's an AG, built into my deck, but my ground falls off 2'6" from the SE corner to the NW one. I needed to have:
    plans drawn up (me--I can draft)
    Permits obtained (me)
    sprinkler lines moved,
    my deck trimmed off and railing removed (me),
    ground layout/surveying(me)
    shrubbery moved
    a retaining wall-based pad built and filled with QP
    an engineer who specialized in road building to guarantee the pad could handle the pressure of the pool.
    Purchase and delivery (Fanta-Sea and me)
    Rent Bob-Cat (me)
    Pool assembly
    Electrical contracting for wiring, banding and connecting pump and lights.
    Custom cedar fencing, deck completion and gate (me).
    Painting
    RE-plumbing the screwed-up initial plumbing by the sub (me, after the sub left me a leaking mess)
    Final inspections and CO. (me)
    Outdoor speaker wiring and mounting (me)
    Swimming (me et al )

Did I save money? I have NO idea. But I had control over the ENTIRE process and time delays were not a surprise, but were anticipated (the pool sat mostly completed with no liner all winter--I used the winter to do the fencing). I also knew the GC wouldn't stiff me, go broke, or refuse to complete the job the way I wanted it! Was it hassle free? No. Would I do it with an I/G? Not without at least a year's intense research into the process.

The results were a pool we love and one that I know EVERY detail of.
    Carl

WOWeee WOW wow wow. What stories. I'm starting to feel better about our DIY job! It's a big one (I posted pics in this forum of our pool in progress) but one step at a time, we will get through it.

My heart really goes out to those people who paid so much money and ended up with nothing but poor craftsmanship.

+ Reply to Thread