+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Closing - 1st time

Question Pool Closing - 1st time

This will be the first time I am planning to close and winterize my pool myself.
    Few questions I have listed below. Also any additional tips will be greatly appreciated.

1) Is is necessary/recommended to partially drain the pool? If so, how low do I go? Below the skimmers? Below the return line coming into the pool?

2) Best way to vacuum seal the lines? I have also heard that you can put some sort of antifreeze in the pipes. Is this recommended?
    2a) Any specific tricks for vacuum sealing the main drain?

3) What to do with the equipment?
    - 3a) I read in another thread to remove the multi-port valve. Is this necessary. In my previous pool closing, no one has ever down this.

- 3b) DE filter should be open and cleaned out with a hose. Anything else here? the pressure gauge can stay on?

- 3c) What is the best way to remove the water from the pump?

- 3d) Anything special to do with the pool line valves

4) Chemicals
    - 4a) I have heard of potentially adding Polyquat? Is this required? If so, how much?
    - 4b) Ideal fc level for closing the pool? Should I continue to add bleach throughout the winter?
    - 4c) Ideal ph level for closing the pool?
    - 4d) Any thing else here?

5) Cover
    - 5a) I have a "safety cover" with springs. Previously I have watched the pool company use a special rod to snap the springs onto the screws in the patio. What is this rod called and where do I get it?

Anything else?!?!?!?

Thanks!
    New pool owner
    30,000 gallon concrete and tile pool with DE filter and offline Chlorinator.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Pool Closing - 1st time

Most of your questions are answered in threads already in this, the startup and shutdown forum.
    There's a safe antifreeze for pools and for the water lines in RVs. Regular antifreeze is a deadly and painful poison.

There is a tool, like a giant buttonhook, for pulling the spring clips over the stationary pegs.
    They looked like this:

But there's a newer kind for about $20. Just google or search Amazon for "safety cover installation rod". I haven't tried it but it looks like it will work much better, with more leverage and less elbow grease.

Carl

Thanks Carl. I will reread the other threads to get more details... any specific word of advice?
    New pool owner
    30,000 gallon concrete and tile pool with DE filter and offline Chlorinator.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by gagan View Post
    Thanks Carl. I will reread the other threads to get more details... any specific word of advice?
    two come to mind.
    You want your pool to be as clean as possible and your FC at shock value when you close.
    And, you want the water to be as cold as possible, too. 60 degF or below is best, low 60's if you must. Low temps inhibit algae growth.
    Carl

The previous owner of my house fabricated their own spring install tool from a piece of 1" pipe about 3ft. long. it works great and looks simple enough to make with a simple cut off wheel or hack saw. I will take a picture when I get home from work and try to post it later if I can.
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

That would work. But steel pipe has gotten SO expensive I don't know if it's much cheaper than a commercial one!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread