+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stains in skimmer???

Default Stains in skimmer???

I realize a skimmer is going to get dirty but is this normal???

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5znzlw46.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psqtsdezro.jpg

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psdlkwq8ut.jpg

This scum/dirt wipes off easy it comes back a couple days after I wipe it off, just wondering if this is normal or something I'm doing wrong with my pool water?
    Thanks, Matt

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Stains in skimmer???

Not sure.
    Carl

Is it oily? I get a rim all the way around my skimmer. Weird that it's only in that one spot.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Almost looks like a mould (mold) Do you wipe the inside of the skimmer with chlorine bleach or peroxide bleach?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Is it oily? I get a rim all the way around my skimmer. Weird that it's only in that one spot.
    I get the same thing sometimes. I've read that it's from body oils, lotion, sunscreen, etc. I do notice it more if someone using sunscreen has used the pool.

It is odd/interesting it only occurs in the skimmer.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

I NEVER had that occur with my bromine pool for over 10 years. When I switched to chlorine, it began right away. I have always wondered about this.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    I get the same thing sometimes. I've read that it's from body oils, lotion, sunscreen, etc. I do notice it more if someone using sunscreen has used the pool.

It is odd/interesting it only occurs in the skimmer.
    It tends to be more concentrated in the skimmers and therefore easier to spot against the white background. All fats/oils and body fats/sweat etc are a source for food for bacteria and mould (mold) and usually do form a tide mark ring. The reason I suggested a mould (mold) is that light gets in through the skimmer opening and generally only hits one spot at the back of the skimmer as in your photos so growth commences there.

FBU, interesting, can't make a suggestion apart from the bromine bank gave a higher residual disinfection level, only a suggestion.

That might be it. I also get the gunk even when I have had no swimmers in the pool for over a week. It seems so strange that it doesn't occur in-pool at the waterline.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    That might be it. I also get the gunk even when I have had no swimmers in the pool for over a week. It seems so strange that it doesn't occur in-pool at the waterline.
    I did have it show up on the steps one time after a guest got in the pool after slathering up with a bunch of sunscreen, but other than that it only shows up in the skimmers. It has never appeared on the liner.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Black goo, Jim?

+ Reply to Thread