+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Now Is The Time To Start Planning For Your Closing

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Now Is The Time To Start Planning For Your Closing

So soon?
    I realize that it's still August and if we have a nice September in the North East we may WELL be swimming till the end of September, and that you in the South already do so, but now is the time to plan so don't have to sweat for all the right equipment and steps.

Here are some stream-of-consciousness questions I'm already asking myself:
    1) What is the condition of my pool cover, if I'm going to cover it?
    Personally, the winter damage in the spring of 2014 meant I have to replace almost half the spring clips on my safety cover. Since I was rebuilding over this past winter, I could post-pone my cover problems. Did you know you can patch both a solid and mesh safety cover, with matching colored patches?
    2) Do you need pillows to float on the water under the cover?
    3) Are the water bags for those cover that need them in good repair?
    4) Are the cover retainer hardware components good?
    5) What is the order of steps you're going to take?
    6) Do you have pre-closing shocking chems on hand? Personally, all I use is Polyquat and LC or bleach.
    7) If you're lowering your pool do you have a good place to dump your water?
    8) Do you have storage space allotted and CLEARED for your a) solar cover and reel; b) pump; c) cleaner(s); d) tools; e) plumbing; f) drop-in stairs; g) ladder?
    9) Do you have all the closing fittings: Return and drain caps; skimmer fittings--either AquaDoor cover or Gizmo plug?
    10) Will you store your filter (Cart or DE) or drain it and cover it (sand)
    11) Do you have O-ring teflon lube? I lube each O-ring and put it in a small Zip-Lock bag marked which fitting it's from with a Sharpie pen.
    12) Do you know how to remove, prep, and store you multiport valve and pump?
    13) Do you have the right tools to install your cover?
    14) Do you need to blow out lines and, if necessary, add safe anti-freeze?
    15) Are you REALLY ready to quit swimming for the winter?
    Carl

Default Re: Now Is The Time To Start Planning For Your Closing

Carl,

Great to stay on top of thinking about this. I'm hoping to extend my season well into Sept. as far as I can go, but with out solar (yet...in the budget for next year) or my propane heater (I disconnected it because it's old, doesn't work anymore...millivolt POS, and was probably what caused all of my staining issues), it might be a challenge for me. The solar blanket cover I got this year does make a huge difference though, so we will see. This time of the year always seems to get so busy and I focus my attention on wrapping up all of my outside projects before it gets too late to do so.

I was wondering about #12 on your list. Do you remove your multiport valve and store it inside for the winter?

Two years ago, my first year as a homeowner with a pool, I did not bring it inside nor the pump. Just drained them and actually I didn't even bother covering anything. Last year I brought the pump in for the winter with the thought of rebuilding it with new seals, impeller, etc. but that didn't happen till spring when I was ready to open. Sometimes the best plans go to waste, but hey at least it was inside all winter.

This year I purchased a new mulitport valve, so your #12 point sparked my interest. I get it that having it inside over winter would probably be the best for it and help extend its life, but I'm curious to hear from a veteran on if it's really necessary? I almost think that the UV light from being out in the sun causes more harm than the cold would, but then again I'm still pretty new to all of this. Also what do you do to cover up the giant hole in the top of the filter after you remove it?
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Two good questions:
    Yes, I ALWAYS put my Multi-port valve in my basement. It's been through 13 seasons already. I always remove the O-ring, lube it with teflon lube, and store it in a zip-lock with all the air pushed out. Still have the original O-ring and it's still soft and pliable. Since my filter's under my deck and has been for several years, there's far less UV worries than before.

I pull the drain plug on the filter, tip it slightly so the drain hole is the lowest point. Then I cover the whole filter with a giant contractor trash bag and duct tape it. I don't let tape get on the filter so I start by taping tight around the top and bottom, then around the body. Finally, I lay a block, like a patio block, over the hole in the top.
    Carl

So...a few days ago I found I need a minor surgery, but it will make it impossible for me to do most of closing tasks until late October...far too late for my area.
    So I'm forced to start immediately. And I found a lot of sand when I ran the robot. Guess that means my laterals are damaged, so, sadly, I will have to dump my sand and install new with the new umbrella.
    I have repaired my mesh safety cover with patch material that is nearly invisible and made exclusively for this purpose. I have a dozen new spring clips for it to replace the ones damaged over the 2013-2014 winter.
    Got to get the water temp down so I am running my solar panels all night. Even if I cannot turn off the pump yet, I can get the winter cover on. and put away everything.
    Carl

So, now my pool is partially closed. The water level is dropped below the skimmer and the skimmer drain valve is turned off, the ice pillows and mesh safety cover are on with all new plastic spring guards and a dozen new spring clips. The cover is nicely patched so the one 2" hole is covered on both sides. It is nearly invisible. The solar panels are disconnected and blown out. And, of course, the ladder and drop-in stairs are out. I'm leaving the pump and filter running about 5 hours a day--3 hrs at night, 2 during the day, until it's cold enough to shut down completely. The SWCG should keep it chlorinated. I have to watch the pH though as it's been rising, especially with the return above the water level which causes aeration-pH-increase. But it should be fine till I'm recovered enough for a full shut-down in mid to late October. Then the plumbing will come off and be stored, alone with the pump and, possibly, the filter.
    Carl

Great post, and oh, so sad!!! Do you have any last pics of your pool?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    Great post, and oh, so sad!!! Do you have any last pics of your pool?
    LOL! No, I don't.
    Carl

STILL no communication to you or Lisa??? I check the obits periodically. I know that's maybe weird but....
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread