+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Valve between pump and filter.

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Default Re: Valve between pump and filter.

I have plumbed in two filters using side mounts and dual multiports and also on others gate valves to separate as you say for back washing. Top mounts could still be done. Takes a little outside the box thinking. The costs are quite a bit different to over here so I see your point but for the size of the pool and pump increasing the area of filtration will bring the water quality up as is already noted by valving the pump flow down.

18" gives an area of around 0.17m but a 24" is only 0.29m (sorry my spec is in meters) at $380 for a 24" and assuming original sold at 50% $115 the cost would be net $265 and you'd still have the smaller filter area. It does seem big pumps and small filters are the norm in the USA compared to Europe.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
    I have plumbed in two filters using side mounts and dual multiports and also on others gate valves to separate as you say for back washing. Top mounts could still be done. Takes a little outside the box thinking. The costs are quite a bit different to over here so I see your point but for the size of the pool and pump increasing the area of filtration will bring the water quality up as is already noted by valving the pump flow down.

18" gives an area of around 0.17m but a 24" is only 0.29m (sorry my spec is in meters) at $380 for a 24" and assuming original sold at 50% $115 the cost would be net $265 and you'd still have the smaller filter area. It does seem big pumps and small filters are the norm in the USA compared to Europe.
    Yes, it's incredibly stupid and something Ben Powell has been challenging for many years. You can see his tip "The Bigger Pool Pump Scam" on his other web site, PoolSolutions.com which he started 19 years ago. I don't know how old the article is, but it was there when I found the site in 2000. It has been a constant frustration for us over the years.

Filter prices definitely, like any decision, factor in. Here, the difference between a 150# (18") filter and a 300# (24") filter is only $150--less than ₤100 for essentially double the capacity. Plus for SwimDaddy's pool, 300# would EASILY meet his needs even with a too-big pump. And, if he can sell the old filter for $100, that's 2/3 of his cost differential between another 150# vs a 300#.

Personally, unless the filter is damaged, I'd go with down-sizing the pump and getting a 2spd. VS pumps are very expensive still, and if you do NOT have a good surge suppressor they'll get zapped. I don't know if they yet make the cut-off suppressors for them. These are sold for appliances and won't come on if you are having a brown-out (low voltage) which zaps electronics as badly as surges.
    Carl

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

I have thought of getting another similar sized filter and plumming them in parallel, but decided it wasn't a good idea, more of a hassle. Have been scoping ebay for a larger 24 or even a 27 inch filter for next season.

I will also someday be looking for a VS or 2spd pump, but for now I think the filter is more of a priority. Maybe you all can confirm or dismiss my conclusions. When you vacuum with a suction side vacuum using a 2 spd pump, you use the higher speed, right? Doing that with my filter pushes the dirt right through. I can vacuum better with DE in the filter, but the filter is so small it clogs up pretty quickly (lots of dust and smoke where I am at right now). I hate vacuuming to waste because of wasted chemicals. My hope is that a bigger filter with or without DE will allow me to vacuum through the filter.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Well, yes, a bigger filter should fix that. If you look at my sig, the T210 is a 22" 200# sand filter and you can vacuum on High without a problem. But the 200# filter is really the smallest I can use with this pump. Had I known in 2002 what I know now, I would have gotten the 250# or 300# filter. But it's OK. I really think you don't need anything bigger than 300#, max. Even that's overkill but....I'm betting you won't have anymore problems. WaterMom, our other mod, has a 300# sand filter with, I believe, a 3/4 hp pump for about the same size pool as you and has no problems with it.
    Carl

swimdaddy is offline *Removed User* Weir Watcher swimdaddy 0

Thanks Carl and Mark for all the great info. I have to say I am not looking forward to next season without this forum. I am glad it was here for the 2 seasons I have had my pool open, I think I can handle most things now on my own with the knowledge I have gleaned here. At the moment, I think I will be able to swim 1 or 2 more weeks before things get too cold and I'll have to close. Why does the pool have to look so inviting when it is freezing cold!

It's a mystery! (Of course the colder it is, the more it inhibits algae growth so it stays clearer...)
    Carl

Winter approaches. So sad!!!!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by swimdaddy View Post
    I have thought of getting another similar sized filter and plumming them in parallel, but decided it wasn't a good idea, more of a hassle. Have been scoping ebay for a larger 24 or even a 27 inch filter for next season.

I will also someday be looking for a VS or 2spd pump, but for now I think the filter is more of a priority. Maybe you all can confirm or dismiss my conclusions. When you vacuum with a suction side vacuum using a 2 spd pump, you use the higher speed, right? Doing that with my filter pushes the dirt right through. I can vacuum better with DE in the filter, but the filter is so small it clogs up pretty quickly (lots of dust and smoke where I am at right now). I hate vacuuming to waste because of wasted chemicals. My hope is that a bigger filter with or without DE will allow me to vacuum through the filter.
    I do that hassle quite a lot, and there are good reasons why but with some I use a single large filter as one extra valve here or there even with labels is to much for some. The advantages are two 19" filters can often be nicely tucked away rather than the larger single filter. You have to go to a 30" to get just over the same surface area as two 19" filters. Two filters will have twice the laterals and plumbing supply them lowering the pressure drop. With a small single speed pump you can shut off one filter and use the pump to backwash one filter at a time getting a good flow rate for cleaning. You still get more than enough flow for vacuuming with a 0.5hp pump, look at my signature, see how big the filtration pump isn't but it gives good flow.
    The idea from manufactures of high rate filtration means that a lot of pool builders install or supply, based on the Maximum flow they think they can get, that requires a maximum HP to try and achieve it which results in the maximum electricity bill.

I agree with Carl, a pump swap is the most desirable but I would still increase the filter size to suit the size of the pool. Yes more capital outlay now but big savings on electricity long term will quickly dwarf the spend.

+ Reply to Thread