+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward Swimpure : Should I replace cell, board, or entire unit.

Default Hayward Swimpure : Should I replace cell, board, or entire unit.

I hope this post gets out considering the status of the forum.

Bought the unit in 2011 and haven't done much to it since. When I turn on the pumps the display comes on and the "No flow" blinks normally for about ~20 seconds (indicating that the timer is active). Once the no flow condition clears none of the LED's light up. I can cycle through the diagnostic screens but it will not generate chlorine. I took the cell out and checked it out, nothing looks out of place. This unit came with the cell for 40K gallons of water (for my 20K pool).

I did a little digging and found that sometimes the board goes bad, sometimes the fuse, and sometimes the cell. I'm considering replacing the cell and seeing what happens. The voltage reads for the cell about 2V (don't know what's normal) and the current reads 0.

Please advise.
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Hayward Swimpure : Should I replace cell, board, or entire unit.

Perhaps one of our SWCG experts will check in and advise you. Sounds more like it's NOT the cell to me. Have you called Hayward Tech Support?
    Carl

Carl,
    Thank you for the response. No not yet. Wanted to see if anybody had any simple things to try first.
    ~18K gal IG Gunite -- 1-HP Pentair Whisper Flo with new 2-speed motor. Intermatic T1000 Dual Speed Timer -- Tagelus 60D sand filter
    Hayward SWCG (up to 40K gal.) -- Polaris 280 and booster pump -- Rainbow (now Pentair) in-line chlorine Feeder.

Update: I replaced the entire board for a cost a little less than $200 and everything seems to be working ok. If I had any soldering skills or tools I might would have attempted to solder in the part that goes bad but I just simply do not have the time for that operation right now. IMO it was $200 well spent and the replacement took less than 30 minutes vs. having to find a soldering iron, soldering supplies, mess with the operation etc.

Thanks to all that helped.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

And, if you're not experienced with electronics soldering, you can overheat either a nearby component or the one you are replacing and it's dead again!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread