+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about CH Test Coloration

Default Question about CH Test Coloration

When using my Taylor test kit to test my CH the instructions say if CH is present the water will turn red. My water does not turn "red" it turns a VERY light pink. Performing the next step of the test where the water should turn blue it turns a purplish color then a VERY light blue. It's almost hard to tell there's any color in the water be it red or blue. Is this normal?

I this test and the CYA test to be the most subjective of all the tests. The black dot "disappearing" is not cut and dry by any means. If I try really hard to make out the dot and I can does that mean the test is not complete? Should I literally not even know there's a dot there?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Question about CH Test Coloration

Good questions.
    I think pink means you don't have a lot of calcium. And I've noticed it turns more purple than blue. Maybe old reagents?

The CYA test takes practice. You should face into the sun with the vial at your waist level. The GOOD thing about the test is you can keep repeating it without using more chems. Just pour the solution from the black-dot vial back into the squeeze bottle and try again. Do it as many times as you need till you get a feel for it! I ALWAYS do it at least twice, sometimes 3x. It only takes another minute.

Another thing is always try to do the test EXACTLY the same way each time, especially when you do it on a different day. You'll figure it out with practise.
    Carl

Very helpful. Thank you!!! I never even though about pouring the water back and forth.

So I guess it is supposed to turn literally red? I have a huge thing of calcium up. I bought it when I started the pool up for the first time last year and I've only ever used 1 scoop of it. My pool has really bad scaling and I read that can be caused by low calcium because calcium is pulled from the plaster. So should I add some? If so how much?

Another quick question... My PH was low so according to the pool calculator, which BTW I like so much that I bought the app today, so I added the suggestion amount of Borax. How long should I wait to retest ph? I ask because I went ahead and retested after about 2 hours and now the Ph is off the chart high. I'm hoping that is because I am just too impatient. :-)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Scaling from LOW calcium?????

Usually it is from too high calcium and too high T/A
    Carl

That was something I read. I'm definitely not saying it's accurate. The way they explained it was calcium would be pulled from the plaster if the level in the pool was too low. I take it from you reply though that it likely not true. :-)

Pulling calcium from the walls is true if calcium is too low. But scaling is from too high calcium.
    Carl

Ah okay. Gotcha. I think I may go to the dreaded pool store tomorrow just to compare their readings of the water to mine. I'm curious to see how closely I am interpreting things. :-) How about that other thing I asked above....My PH was low so according to the pool calculator, which BTW I like so much that I bought the app today, so I added the suggestion amount of Borax. How long should I wait to retest ph? I ask because I went ahead and retested after about 2 hours and now the Ph is off the chart high. I'm hoping that is because I am just too impatient.

what is your pH? Anything between 7.2-7.8 is do-able and not too bad
    Carl

As far as the pH goes my test before adding the borax was 7.0. The calculator said to add 67 ounces so I did. Two hours later the reading was so dark that I'd say it's over 8.0.

On the calcium test it took me a little while to figure out what you meant when you said "old reagents" I bought this kit during the winter but I did leave it ouside all winter. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do that until recently. This is the color "red" that I get...

I know the lighting is terrible in my house but this is the color after 40 drops...

+ Reply to Thread