Thread: Domestic pool turnover rates

Threaded View

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Domestic pool turnover rates

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot
    I wish Marks report was more scientific, with proper turbidity test carried out and a particle count to see what was really in the water. If the pump is off the debris sinks but it doesn't show until it's stirred up. Since doing this the water is much clearer 0.5-1 NTU and there is no dirt or debris to stir up.
    The study seems pretty clear to me which states that they SAW no observable difference in water quality after 2 hours. If the debris sinks, then a vacuum can easily remove it without "stirring it up". The only time I have heard of someone having an issue like you are describing is when they just killed a bunch of algae and it sunk to the bottom. That debris is very light weight and can be stirred up easily but when cleaning up algae after it is killed, you should be running 24x7 anyway. But that should not happen very often if you follow the methods taught here.

As I said chlorine will kill what in can in under a minute, that would be lots of different bacteria, virus's etc including algae spores so that's the job done except for chlorine resistant types, like Giardia and Cryptosporidium and oocysts which need filtering out (this depends on the filtration being good enough and may also need flocculent. Generally the pumps are too big and the filters too small to achieve great filtration, eyesight is too bad to judge.
    Why only a minute? Chlorine does not stop killing after one minute, it should continue killing these things if the level is set properly.

Gage and Bidwell's paper on water turnover and dilution says after 1 turnover 63% of the water has been filtered, by my action I get a 6 hour turnover and that filters 4 times in 24 hours so 98% of the water is filtered.
    So what? Again, there is no good reason to filter the water at any specific turnover rate. It just doesn't matter to sanitation. Aesthetics, perhaps but only to some.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchryan912
    What considerations would increase that run time? We have debris from out arbor vitae trees falling into the pool all the time, and we can't be out there manually skimming all the time. Would just 2-4 hours per day on high be enough and then a good chunk more on low be OK?
    Removing floating debris and debris that has sunk to the bottom of the pool is entirely up to you. It is only based on your personal preference.

Some people like me could care less if there is a little debris in the bottom of the pool or even on the surface. My priority is to minimize run time.

Other people are quite anal about a pristine pool and thus require lots of run time so every spec of dirt and debris are immediately removed from the pool. However, this desire sometimes comes at a large cost.
    Last edited by mas985; 07-26-2015 at 06:20 PM.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater