+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Domestic pool turnover rates

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Default Re: Domestic pool turnover rates

Would you believe I don't have access to that?

Teapot, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Whoa! I don't get that! And I cannot change it.

Forum Rules (Acceptable Use Policy)

PoolForum AUP
    updated May 2012

Participation in the PoolForum is subject to certain conditions.

Violating any of these conditions will result in your membership being terminated, without refund if you've subscribed. Please understand that I -- and I alone -- am the final arbiter of whether you did, or did not violate the terms. Let me warn in advance that individuals in the pool industry have typically found it very difficult to abide by these terms. (See below for further notes for pool industry members.)

That said, here are the conditions:

Don't sell or promote stuff!
    This is the #1 reason people get banned, and it's the reason people in the trade can't abide the rules. Sell stuff -- and that includes statements like "my product is best" -- WILL get you banned instantly. Promote stuff -- "I think my new super duper Whiz-a-rink sanitizer is what everyone ought to use" -- and you may get a warning, or you may get banned. Spammers, hackers, promoters . . . get banned with NO refunds, if they've subscribed!
    Be polite, kind, and respectful.
    Personal attacks and ad hominem arguments will get you a warning . . . once! Cussing, obscenity (remember I judge), lying, and the like will get you banned instantly. Use language acceptable to your 2nd grade teacher, your Sunday School teacher or your old maid aunt! Even though I'm from the south, 'red-neck' vocabulary is not allowed here, and will get you banned.
    Be nice to newbies.
    Remember that everyone was once a newbie -- always be polite and kind when newbies ask the kind of stupid question you once asked, too. Even when it's necessary to tell them to stop being so nervous, and posting new questions every hour, and to just go and do what they've been told . . . DO IT NICELY!
    If you're in the biz, say so!
    If you are in the pool industry -- as an employee, owner, partner, representative, contractor, manager, consultant, engineer, etc -- say so clearly. We'll move your membership into the special pool section, and let you start there. If you do not disclose your pool industry role, you'll almost certainly end up banned sooner, rather than later.
    Post questions, don't PM them!
    Private messages should be for *personal* communications, like 'how's your sick cat doing?', not for pool questions that should be posted on the forum. Also, please keep in mind that PM's are not utterly private: I have the database passwords, and see all PM's when doing certain types of maintenance. Don't use PM's for things that need to be totally private.
    Don't tell me you are not a spammer!
    because it's useless to do so. Everybody says that, including the spammers! In fact, the spammers go to great lengths to try to prove to me that they are not spammers . . . so I will let them in far enough to allow them to blitz the forum with spam.

So unless you know me personally, your statements that you are not a spammer don't tell me anything. The one thing you *can* do, to prove you're not a spammer is to NOT be anonymous or bogus. Anonymous registrations are very unprivileged; the only thing worse is registrations that contain bogus info.

These conditions help preserve the value of the Poolforum for everyone. Please support them.

Thanks,

Ben Powell
    "PoolDoc"
    Carl

Yep I remember a couple of paragraphs when I was emailed by Ben, especially "don't sell or promote stuff" I thought I was already in the special pool section as Ben or a Mod had to approve my first posts. If you need/want me to add something to make it clear to my signature etc please say so or can you carry that out? Just trying to be straight.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
    Your pool looks good Richard but there is extra electricity being used for the booster pump for the pressure side cleaner, I just use a Pool Blaster max now days although I can of course use the old vacuum head and hose should anything happen but it hasn't and less work is required now to look after the pool.
    Richard uses ThePoolCleaner (I do too) which does not require a booster.

Just like Mark's study on turnover it appears we need a lot less turnover than previously thought. If I had less trees I would almost certainly reduce the run time but as I said you can only skim the surface if the equipment is running.
    It was actually Ben who found the study.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Apologies Mark & Richard I thought that was a Polaris, That model of cleaner hasn't made to the UK or Europe as far as I know. How do you rate it?

Ben, Legend!

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

I switched to 4-wheel pressure The Pool Cleaner when I switched to a Pentair Intelliflo VF pump. Prior to that I had a single-speed pump and a separate booster pump for a Letro Legend pool cleaner. I'm very happy with The Pool Cleaner, but I have a cover on the pool most of the time so don't get a lot of debris. I clean out the cleaner bag no more than once a week and can usually go longer between emptying the bag. When the cleaner is on, it's at 15 GPM, 2180 RPM, 540 Watts for 2 hours each night (I have a Jandy valve that switches the main pump to a dedicated line for the cleaner). I don't need to run it that often, but I never know which day is going to get the debris and my wife swims nearly every day and doesn't want debris in the pool. When the solar is on at 48 GPM that's 1500 Watts and when it is off at 26 GPM it's 300 Watts.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Richard,
    I've read your posts with interest (as I almost always do). I'm baffled by one thing: Why do your solar panels require so much pressure? While I've long been an advocated of "More Flow = More Heat Energy", it seems awfully high and from what I've seen of solar panels, they are prone to leaking when the pressure is too high--I run mine on low speed all the time. When I bump the pump to high, I either turn off the panels, or shut their valves down to a crack, a trickle, to prevent them leaking. Of course FantaSea panels, nifty as they are, are far more fragile than the flexible roll-up types. I'm always checking for and repairing leaks.

As for the lower TA: I'm pretty sure it wasn't Ben who first put the concept forward. I thought it was one of the pool pros--or you--who suggested it (guess it wasn't you). Of course, in practice many of us have found it to be VERY effective to countering rising pH. Rising pH seems more mysterious than falling pH, which is almost always easy to trace, usually to Tri-Chlor or even Di-Chlor. Only with new or newly resurfaced hard (concrete/plaster) sided pools is rising pH expected.

But rising pH can be, as you know, an adverse effect of an SWCG. Many people complain about it. Yet I don't seem to have that problem and haven't in the 3 seasons I've had the SWCG. In fact, my pH has been pretty constant since I re-opened (and the Tri-Chlor tabs ran out) at 7.5-7.6 Yet my TA is around 170 due to the local water. Since pH IS stable, it ain't broke, so I'm not fixin' it!
    Carl

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Not to answer for CG but for solar panels on a roof with a VRV installed on the roof, you must have positive pressure at the VRV to keep it closed. Pressure drops with elevation so on a two story roof, you must have at least 11-15 PSI on the filter in order for the VRV to remain closed. A one story is better at 5-7 PSI filter pressure.

Carl, if I remember correctly, I believe your panels are in your deck so you can easily run on low speed to run the panels.

Lowering of the VRV would also allow someone to run at low speed on a two story roof but you still need to prime the panels on high speed so the controller must support that.
    Last edited by mas985; 08-21-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks, Mark. Yes, it's correct that my solar panels are part of my deck and priming them is only an issue in the spring because they were drained for the winter. Other panels I've used have also not been elevated so I've no experience with the control valves needed.
    Carl

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

The recommended flow rate for my solar panels is 4 GPM per panel and I have 12 panels in parallel so that's 48 GPM. I could run slower with somewhat less efficiency. Even going from 4 GPM per panel to 3 GPM per panel (which is the "minimum recommended") only drops efficiency from 80% to 70% while energy usage would drop from 1500 Watts down to less than 900 Watts. Or I could split the difference and do 3.5 GPM per panel at less than 1200 Watts. I've considered doing that, but haven't changed to it yet. My wife often swims earlier in the day so needs the heating to occur more quickly, but it's a dance for how high to get the temperature the night before so that it is warm enough at the start of the next day.

The other reason my pump energy cost is pretty high when solar is running is that I have a long 75 foot pipe run to and then from the solar system on the single-story roof. I lose 1.2 PSI because my PB used 2" pipe instead of 2.5" (or 3") plus the 12 panels are spread over 3 different roof hips over the length of the house. Also, marginal electricity rates are high at 35 cents per kilowatt-hour (or more). My filter pressure with solar at 48 GPM is roughly 24 PSI which is high (55 feet of head) where the highest point of solar on the roof is perhaps 20 feet high so the rest is largely inefficiency in the piping and outlets. I'm sure I could operate at a slower flow rate without the VRV opening since 36 GPM with solar on is roughly 16 PSI in my pool system.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread