Closed Thread

Thread: Replacing a 1-year old pump that's seemingly died?

Question Replacing a 1-year old pump that's seemingly died?

Hi all,

Last year we installed a new pump after the old one had died, and now one year later, the new one seems to have also died. Last night it wasn't running, and was extremely hot and smelled like it was burning. Not sure what was going on, but it's still not working after checking electrical and everything else we could check.

What we have is a Waterway SMF-110, a 1 HP pump that's allegedly built for above ground pools (we have an in-ground, 26,000 gallon pool.) Are the mounting points on these fairly standard or am I going to have to re-pipe everything?

Whatever the case may be, I'm sure we're going to want a 1.5 or higher HP pump, as the previous owners of this house (aka my in-laws) had a 1.5 HP pump prior to this (my FIL bought us the new 1 HP as a "warranty" on the house.)
    26,000 gal IG vinyl liner pool (20'x40'), Waterway SMF-110 wet end w/ Century SQS-1072R motor, Pac-Fab Triton TR60 sand filter, K-2006A. Manually added chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31% muriatic acid.

Default Re: Replacing a 1-year old pump that's seemingly died?

Sorry, wrong sub-forum!

Disassembled the pump, plugged the motor in to see if the impeller would spin (it does.) Started to smoke after a few seconds of spinning, coming out of the back of the motor. It's not totally dead, so I guess that's good?
    26,000 gal IG vinyl liner pool (20'x40'), Waterway SMF-110 wet end w/ Century SQS-1072R motor, Pac-Fab Triton TR60 sand filter, K-2006A. Manually added chems: 12.5% NaClO liquid, granular CYA, baking soda, 31% muriatic acid.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Replacing a 1-year old pump that's seemingly died?

Smoking wires is NEVER good. It almost sounds like you are running a 220v pump on 110v, or vice versa. Smoking means either your brushes or wiring insulation is burning.

A 1HP IG pump should be fine, but not a 1HP AG pump.
    Carl

Closed Thread