+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sand filter failure

Default Sand filter failure

My pool water won't clear. I used a filter cleaner and I have used clarifier multiple times bu the water is not clear. It used to be clear after only 2 or 3 days of continuous filtration.

Is it time for new sand?
    IG rectangular pool, 18' X 36', 18,000 gallons, Hayward S220T filter, 250 pounds of sand, 3/4 HP pump.

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Default Re: Sand filter failure

Old Eagle, new sand is a hoax, it turns out to be just as old as the old sand well +/- a million years or two.
    Sand doesn't wear out in sand filters because it's stationary for most of it's working life, it get dirty, bio fouled stuck together and therefore channeled.
    The channels allow free un filters passage which is your problem sounds like.
    The cleaner you used may not have done the whole job and I have noticed just how bad domestic filters can backwash. In one case we removed the media into dustbins and thoroughly cleaned it before putting the same media back which is now once again perfect.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It's hard to diagnose. First off, the clarifier may well have gummed up your sand, in which case the cheapest and easiest solution is replacement. Teapot's right about the channeling.
    Other things are that your filter may be too small for your pump's horsepower, or you have damaged laterals (internals of the filter).

Sand doesn't wear out, and, in fact, a well-tended sand filter tends to filter BETTER as the sand gets older. The hard-edged points on "new sand" get worn down and it packs closer trapping more dirt. My sand is in its 13th season and just getting better and better.

But without knowing the size and capacity of your pool, filter and pump, it's hard to diagnose.
    Carl

I am willing to try cleaning the sand but don't know what to do. I put in a good amount of laundry detergent and left it for 2 hours and then backwashed it out but the filtration still is nothing. Even though the pool is now quite cloudy, the filter back pressure has not gone up in 6 hours of running. You spoke of channeling. How do I undo that? Maybe I should replace the sand. This is stopping a lot of swimming.
    IG rectangular pool, 18' X 36', 18,000 gallons, Hayward S220T filter, 250 pounds of sand, 3/4 HP pump.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Laundry detergent? No, no, no, no, no! Now I believe you MUST replace the sand (I could be wrong). You may have too little sand as well. Or your filter may have been loaded with sand-blaster sand, rather than pool filter sand.

Changing sand isn't too hard and 50lb bags of pool filter sand are usually less than $10. You'll need to know how much your filter takes: 150 lbs, 200lbs, 250lbs, etc.
    You'll have to disconnect and remove the top. If it's a top-mount filter, the whole multi port valve comes off. A side mount valve filter may be different.
    You'll need to scoop out the old sand. The tricky part is the laterals, the internal plumbing that looks like an upside-down umbrella. You don't want to damage that as you dig out the sand. Once the laterals are clear, you fold them in (like an umbrella) and lift them out. You'll need to inspect them for damage and replace any damaged ones. Dump out the rest of the sand.

When you are satisfied the laterals are fine, you'll start putting new sand in the filter. There will be molded-in rests for the laterals. Do NOT cover these with sand. Just sand below them. Then put in the laterals, unfold them, and seat them, making sure each is in its rest. Now GENTLY add more sand to cover them, being careful NOT to pour sand down the vertical pipe--Masking tape can cover it for now. Duct tape may stick. Add sand evenly until you've reached the capacity of the filter, and gently level it off. You can pour in clean water to help the sand level, but you DON'T want it moving the sand around.

Before you reinstall the multi port valve, check to see that it's working correctly, that the "spider gasket" isn't damaged, and the O-ring that goes around the valve is good, too. Then you can reconnect it all.
    You'll want to run the filter on "Rinse" then "Backwash" before going back to "filter".

However, I asked before and I'll ask again: What is the size of your pump and filter? If your pump is too powerful for your filter, this is all a waste of time. You'll need a bigger filter or a less powerful pump.

Best I can do on limited info.
    Carl

Anonymous [GDPR] European in the UK Guest

Lightbulb Re: Sand filter failure

Yep as Carl said, laundry detergent, loaded with phosphates! I hope a teaspoon of that didn't make it back into the pool.
    It's always a good idea to fill the filter half full of water before commencing a fill. It not only reduces the amount of dust you may breath in but it slows down the impact of the sand on the laterals. Personally I would add course gravel to cover the laterals before the sand goes in.

Backwash the new sand and then rinse....before filtering

I would only add gravel if the owner's manual calls for it. Otherwise, follow the manual. Pool sand should not be very dusty anyway. Half full with water sounds like a lot to me, but I don't suppose it would hurt. I prefer just adding sand slowly and gently. What's the rush?
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Teapot View Post
    Old Eagle, new sand is a hoax, it turns out to be just as old as the old sand well +/- a million years or two.
    Sand doesn't wear out in sand filters because it's stationary for most of it's working life, it get dirty, bio fouled stuck together and therefore channeled.
    The channels allow free un filters passage which is your problem sounds like.
    The cleaner you used may not have done the whole job and I have noticed just how bad domestic filters can backwash. In one case we removed the media into dustbins and thoroughly cleaned it before putting the same media back which is now once again perfect.
    I am willing to try pulling the sand out and cleaning, but what did you do to clean it?

You cannot clean it out of the tank if you cannot clean it in the tank. Isn't that clear?

I feel like you are not reading the comments all the way through, and only reading what you want to read.

Please remember: The final choices and responsibility for your pool rest with you and nobody else.
    I wish you the best of luck.
    Carl

Carl, I do read all of the messages that try to answer my questions. I was trying to ask Teapot about his statement. It was : "In one case we removed the media into dustbins and thoroughly cleaned it before putting the same media back which is now once again perfect." So I wanted to know what he did to clean the sand. My sand is certainly pool sand, and it worked fine for about 4 years and then stopped filtering. I have just tried Leslie's "Pool Sand Revitalizer" and it has done nothing. I am ready to change the sand, but I am physically disabled so that will be time consuming. The expense is not what bothers me or made me seek a way to clean it in place..

My filter is a Hayward top fill type. Have you got any suggestions on the best way to remove the sand? I will try to fashion a scoop that is small enough to go down into the filter. The center pipe is a hindrance and I know to not let sand get in it, so I will plug it.

+ Reply to Thread