+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sand filter failure

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Sand filter failure

No, no, it MUST be in the skimmer while the pump is running! You have to shut down the pump and shut off valves to open the pump's skimmer pot. Then it probably will clog and not distribute properly.
    Don't make things tougher on yourself than you need to!
    Carl

Carl, Thanks again for all your very good advice.
    IG rectangular pool, 18' X 36', 18,000 gallons, Hayward S220T filter, 250 pounds of sand, 3/4 HP pump.

Carl,
    Your advice on how to use some D.E. in the sand filter works great. The cloudy stuff in my pool is being caught at a high rate. I had to use a fairly large amount of the D.E. to get the 1 pound rise in pressure you suggested. I think that is because my filter has a large amount of surface area which needs a coating to get the pressure rise. That surface area is about 1000 square inches.

One certainly does not need a water clarifier when you use your D.E. method.

I have noticed an interesting thing happening so I will report it here. When I put in the D.E., check the pressure, and then start up my Kreepy Krauly, I think the pulsations of the Kreepy Krauly cause the D.E. to disappear, probably passing right on through the sand and back into the pool. The small amount of D.E. would not be noticeable in the pool if that is what happens. It may be that the D.E. disappears because I have a yet-to-be-found air leak in the return line that causes the filter pump to sort of cycle up and down in pressure as it grabs the air and then grabs more water. I have yet to locate the return line leak but I know how to do that and will fix the leak as soon as I do.
    IG rectangular pool, 18' X 36', 18,000 gallons, Hayward S220T filter, 250 pounds of sand, 3/4 HP pump.

+ Reply to Thread