+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sand filter failure

Default Re: Sand filter failure

Old Eagle,

I just replace my sand this year at the start of the season. Last year I had problems with sand coming back thru returns which I always noticed on my steps. I inherited my pool and all equipment when I bought my house 2 years ago so I didn't have a good idea of the history of maintenance done. I suspected there was a broken lateral, or worse yet, that they hadn't used the correct sand.

What I found out was that my laterals and everything was fine, not broken or cracked, and that they indeed used the correct sand. I also replace the entire top multi port gasket as mine was so cracked and repaired that it was a time bomb ticking and $30 in replacement gaskets would be worthless if it failed, so I bit the bullet and got a new one for about $70. I suspect this was the cause of my sand issues as I have no clue what else could have been the cause. Replacing the sand was probably not needed in my case, but I'm glad that I did. I now know exactly whats in there and what chemicals and gunk has been put thru it, which is nothing but the BBB things. No clarifier, No magic sauce or pool store suggestions.

I understand that you are disabled so it might not be easy for you to do, but if your going to take the time to do yourself, or hire someone, to empty out the sand to clean it, you might as well just get brand new, considering the time and energy it would take to clean, if that's even possible, and also the fact that it seems that you have introduced a lot of gunk into it that's not great for your water chemistry.

My top load hayward S 210 called for 200lbs of sand, or (4) 50lb. bags. @ $12 per bag ~$48 + tax from my local store. It was pretty straight forward to dump and replace. I can't seem to find the manual for your filter online so I don't have a clue of its recommended capacity, but it should be listed on the side of the filter tank somewhere.

Given everything your sand has been thru, and the time/energy to take it out to clean, it might be more cost effective to just replace with fresh new stuff. But then again I don't know how much new will cost you, or if it would even be in your budget. I would look into it though. Maybe you can find some great neighbors to help you, and offer some swim time in exchange for helping?

One thing for after you get your sand figured out, there has also been discussion on here about using a very small dose of DE (diatomaceous earth) thru sand filters to help filter out all the fine small stuff that might otherwise get by. Just do a search on here for it or a google search. I have used it with success to help get my water crystal clear. I would strongly suggest reading up a lot on it before trying it though. Its not difficult to do, but you need to know the steps and what your doing so you don't cause more problems.

~BJ
    14'x28' rectangle 10.9K gal IG vinyl pool; 3/4HP Hayward SP2605X7 pump & S210t sand filter; (Laars Lite 2 LG 175) disconnected; Well H2O; Taylor K2006 kit. PF=11

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post
    Carl, I do read all of the messages that try to answer my questions. I was trying to ask Teapot about his statement. It was : "In one case we removed the media into dustbins and thoroughly cleaned it before putting the same media back which is now once again perfect." So I wanted to know what he did to clean the sand. My sand is certainly pool sand, and it worked fine for about 4 years and then stopped filtering. I have just tried Leslie's "Pool Sand Revitalizer" and it has done nothing. I am ready to change the sand, but I am physically disabled so that will be time consuming. The expense is not what bothers me or made me seek a way to clean it in place..

My filter is a Hayward top fill type. Have you got any suggestions on the best way to remove the sand? I will try to fashion a scoop that is small enough to go down into the filter. The center pipe is a hindrance and I know to not let sand get in it, so I will plug it.
    Yes. Use a garden trowel, particularly if you can find one with a rounded, rather than a pointed tip. Be patient. Not sure, but I think each bucket of dry sand is about 45-50 lbs. Wet sand is far heavier. In my pool rebuild I brought in 4 1/2 yards of sand. I shoveled every blessed shovel-full of it, the last yard by myself, and up a ramp and staircase. I learned the hard way there are 40.4 buckets to a yard......

If you are disabled, then realize that trying to remove and clean the sand is twice the work of simply removing and replacing it. Top mounts are actually easier to work.
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by BJohnston View Post
    Old Eagle,

I just replace my sand this year at the start of the season. Last year I had problems with sand coming back thru returns which I always noticed on my steps. I inherited my pool and all equipment when I bought my house 2 years ago so I didn't have a good idea of the history of maintenance done. I suspected there was a broken lateral, or worse yet, that they hadn't used the correct sand.

What I found out was that my laterals and everything was fine, not broken or cracked, and that they indeed used the correct sand. I also replace the entire top multi port gasket as mine was so cracked and repaired that it was a time bomb ticking and $30 in replacement gaskets would be worthless if it failed, so I bit the bullet and got a new one for about $70. I suspect this was the cause of my sand issues as I have no clue what else could have been the cause. Replacing the sand was probably not needed in my case, but I'm glad that I did. I now know exactly whats in there and what chemicals and gunk has been put thru it, which is nothing but the BBB things. No clarifier, No magic sauce or pool store suggestions.

I understand that you are disabled so it might not be easy for you to do, but if your going to take the time to do yourself, or hire someone, to empty out the sand to clean it, you might as well just get brand new, considering the time and energy it would take to clean, if that's even possible, and also the fact that it seems that you have introduced a lot of gunk into it that's not great for your water chemistry.

My top load hayward S 210 called for 200lbs of sand, or (4) 50lb. bags. @ $12 per bag ~$48 + tax from my local store. It was pretty straight forward to dump and replace. I can't seem to find the manual for your filter online so I don't have a clue of its recommended capacity, but it should be listed on the side of the filter tank somewhere.

Given everything your sand has been thru, and the time/energy to take it out to clean, it might be more cost effective to just replace with fresh new stuff. But then again I don't know how much new will cost you, or if it would even be in your budget. I would look into it though. Maybe you can find some great neighbors to help you, and offer some swim time in exchange for helping?

One thing for after you get your sand figured out, there has also been discussion on here about using a very small dose of DE (diatomaceous earth) thru sand filters to help filter out all the fine small stuff that might otherwise get by. Just do a search on here for it or a google search. I have used it with success to help get my water crystal clear. I would strongly suggest reading up a lot on it before trying it though. Its not difficult to do, but you need to know the steps and what your doing so you don't cause more problems.

~BJ
    BJ, Thanks for all your comments. I am replacing the sand. It has arrived this evening. I will replace it tomorrow. I have fashioned a little scoop from a plastic bottle and it just fits past the center pipe. I have taped the center pipe so I won't get sand in it.

Thanks again for all your message.

Old Eagle
    IG rectangular pool, 18' X 36', 18,000 gallons, Hayward S220T filter, 250 pounds of sand, 3/4 HP pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post
    BJ, Thanks for all your comments. I am replacing the sand. It has arrived this evening. I will replace it tomorrow. I have fashioned a little scoop from a plastic bottle and it just fits past the center pipe. I have taped the center pipe so I won't get sand in it.

Thanks again for all your message.

Old Eagle
    IG rectangular pool, 18' X 36', 18,000 gallons, Hayward S220T filter, 250 pounds of sand, 3/4 HP pump.

I ended up getting my big shop vacuum and using it to pull the old sand out. I was careful to not suck up too much wet sand at a time before emptying the shop vac. It could hold 50 or 60 pounds but I would not be able enough to dump it out. Anyway, I got the sand all out in a fairly short time.

I cut up a bleach bottle to make a scoop to get the new sand out of a bag and I scooped sand out of the 50 pound bag until there was about 15 or 20 pounds left in the bag and then I lifted the bag and poured. Yes, I had tape over the center pipe opening. I put about a foot of water in the filter tank before starting to pour the sand in.

With all 250 pounds of sand in the filter tank, I put the top valve assembly back on, switched the valve to backwash and started the pump. When the view glass seemed completely clear, I switched to filtering, and now a lot of filtering and Kreepy Krauly work has to be done as I had killed off some green algae and the pool bottom was coated dark green.

Now I have a question. I am considering putting a liquid cover on the pool to help it save heat. Is that stuff going to foul the filter? Perhaps I shouldn't use it? Please CARL and any others, what do you think?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    The consensus around here is a big NO. Don't use the liquid cover on your pool.
    Exactly. Get a lighter cover (12 mil) and a cover reel. You'll be much happier.
    Carl

I believe you on the NO for the liquid cover. I can imagine it fouling the sand. Thank you both Watermom and Carl.
    Another question: What about the idea of putting a limited amount of DE media on top of the sand in my sand filter? I have not done this, but it sounds logical when you think of the very fine particles that cloud a pool and keep going through the sand filter. In past years I did have good results using a clarifier solution to make the fine particles stop going through the sand filter. Now I am scared of adding anything but bleach and chemicals to adjust the PH.

Both WaterMom and I, and many others have added DE and the results are excellent.
    Record your pump's pressure (on high if a 2 spd or VS) apnd keep it running.
    Add 1/4 cup of DE and wait 20 minutes.
    Wait, oh 20 minutes and see if the pressure has increased by 1pound, if so you are done. If not, add another quarter cup and wait again repeat until you reach one pound increase in preassure.
    If you go over more than two punds, just backwash it out and start again. Try 1/3 cup this time.
    Once you find the right amount, which will be between 1/4 cup and one cup, just add that much everytime after you backwash.

That's all there is to it!
    Carl

Thanks much! That sounds like a very good plan. I had not thought about the backwash pulling the DE out but I guess that really will remove it. I am guessing that you put the DE in at the skimmer, but maybe at the pot just before the pump. I suppose either will work and the skimmer would be easier.

+ Reply to Thread