+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need yall to check my test numbers please.

Default Need yall to check my test numbers please.

Hello "Yall", Ive been treating my pool now for a week. It was green to start. My water is still cloudy and I dont really see a difference in the cloudy going away. I still cant see the bottom. I have 2 brand new unicel cartridges Im useing to filter. I have the taylor test kit. I brush daily and Ive read around the forums but I feel like Im still not doing something right.Yesterday evening my FC= 16, CC=.5 This morning FC=10 , CC =.5 and here is the other test numbers- CYA= 50, PH=7.0 , TA= 20. I use bleach for chlorine .Any suggestions please would make my day. Thank yall.
    26' x 52" round AG pool, ~15K gal, Cartridge filter. BBB method

Default Re: Need yall to check my test numbers please.

Your numbers look okay to me except for pH and TA. You could get some arm and hammer WASHING soda (laundry aisle). It will raise your pH and your TA. I would try 2 cups and then test. If you need more, add a cup and test again. I would aim for about 60 for TA and 7.4 or so for pH. If you can't find washing soda, you can use borax (raises pH) and baking soda (raises TA).
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Unlike FBU, I don't see your main concern as pH and TA. Both ARE low but pH is 7 or more. I'd FIRST use either washing soda or borax, but not baking soda until your pH is where you want it. THEN test for TA and see if you need more. You have a vinyl pool so as long as pH is 7 or better you're oK and TA is really just not that important.

But more importantly, you need to test and maintain your FC at 15ppm. Dropping overnight to 10 from 15 means you are fighting something. BTW, pH at 7 makes the FC a bit more effective at fighting algae.
    Carl

Sorry, I assumed that you intended to get FC back to shock level. My bad. You know what they say about assuming....!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Hey Carl,My fc is 18 and holding overnight with cc being .5 This is fourth day of schock level holding overnight.(with me adding to it in the evening with about a gallon each evening). My cya is 40. Pool is still as cloudy as it was 4 days ago.Maybe a little lighter. My question is; Do I keep schock level untill clear? Do i raise schock level? What d o i need to do? Also with the cc being .5 and fc at 18 for 4 days now,it seems to me that the .5 cc is what is keeping it cloudy? But ,what I am reading, .5 should be okay. Thanks CarlD for taking your time to read this and offer a Tn hillbilly some help.
    26' x 52" round AG pool, ~15K gal, Cartridge filter. BBB method

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

My pleasure! You do need to keep your FC at shock level, above 15ppm.
    Are you vacuuming to waste and brushing your pool every single day? Running your pump and filter 24/7?
    I'm betting your CC is actually above 0 but below .5, but you cannot read it unless you test at 25ml rather than 10ml, which wastes reagents and, as you suspect, isn't really necessary.
    Have you been cleaning your cartridge(s) and making sure they don't have any holes? I don't THINK you need to clean them if the pressure isn't rising but holes require replacement.

You can also try "skimmer socks" or another brand in your skimmer. They are cheap and actually filter out a lot of junk. You can also consider a "slime bag" which goes on the return and captures far more--but they run $60 - $80 -- may be worth it.

Tennessee? My older son almost went to Vandy--Nashville's a nice town.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread