+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oops...used HD outdoor bleach

Default Oops...used HD outdoor bleach

a bottle of Home Depot outdoor bleach was mixed in with the regular and I poured it in the pool...realizing after that it was the outdoor bleach. There are NO ingredients on the bottle that I could find. I though everything had to have ingredients listed. Does anyone know what is in this bleach? It smelled very strong while pouring. I haven't tested the water again, but I hope it didn't have other ingredients that will cause problems.
    PF=5; 23K gal IG kidney vinyl pool, Triton II Sand Filter, Whisperflow VS Pump, Taylor 2006 kit, Jacuzzi/Carvin Saniclear 40 SWCG

Default Re: Oops...used HD outdoor bleach

found this for you.
    looks like only 5% strength
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...4af35c0a06.pdf
    16' x 32' Above Ground Doughboy
    half surround deck
    Aquaview sand filter
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Gulf stream heat pump

Thanks you...hopefully nothing else is in there that will mess with the balance or be harmful.
    PF=5; 23K gal IG kidney vinyl pool, Triton II Sand Filter, Whisperflow VS Pump, Taylor 2006 kit, Jacuzzi/Carvin Saniclear 40 SWCG

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Expect your pH to rise: the stuff contains sodium hydroxide, aka caustic lye, which is exceedingly basic. I would guess that only one gallon in 23k gallons won't be a big problem.
    But I'd never use it again.
    Carl

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

There is lye in all bleach or chlorinating liquid since the higher pH stabilizes the hypochlorite. However, this product has more lye than normal bleach so Carl is right that it will tend to raise the pH some. Specifically, one gallon of this product would need around 2.8 fluid ounces of full-strength Muriatic Acid to compensate for the excess lye in it.

However, the main problem with Outdoor bleach is that just like splash-less bleach it also contains thickeners (not listed in the MSDS because they are not hazardous) and these can cause foaming in swimming pools. If this happens, just scoop up the foam from the surface of the pool. And as Carl says, don't use this again.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

"this product has more lye than normal bleach " which is why when you look it up "Sodium Hydroxide" is listed as an ingredient though not on household bleach.

I didn't know about the d*** thickeners! Thanks, Richard!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread