+ Reply to Thread

Thread: late pool opening, should I circulate water and add chlorine?

Default late pool opening, should I circulate water and add chlorine?

I have for various reasons not opened my pool for the 2015 season. I did a fairly late closure last fall, which is normal for me the past 14 years. I usually open in late April but here we are in June and not open yet. Was wondering if I should get a pump of some kind and start moving the water under the cover (solid dark blue cover) and add some chlorine. Due to an injury I probably won't open the pool for another couple of weeks. We just started getting temps in the upper 80's and low 90's the last week or two. It's been a cool rainy spring/early summer (not great pool weather anyway). We're back to low 80's temps this weekend for at least another week it looks like.
    20,000 Gallon IG Vinyl (first season 2000)
    Solar Heat
    2 Speed Rebuilt pump
    Sand filter
    cooldude.com/pool-1.jpg

Default Re: late pool opening, should I circulate water and add chlorine?

Was wondering if I should get a pump of some kind and start moving the water under the cover (solid dark blue cover) and add some chlorine.
    Probably should just wait.. May just waste bleach and your time. Wasted effort IMO

Best to take cover off and go at it properly..

Shock, vacuum, brush... Keep shock levels up. Continue till you hold chlorine levels overnight... Run filter 24/7...

Get CYA riight and adjust alk.... Then test and adjust PH after a few days....
    12x18 vinyl AG 6.2K gal; Hayward equp: 16" sand filter (spring clean up) -- Xtream 100 sft cart (after clean up) -- Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2spd pump w/ AO Smith motor

Default Re: late pool opening, should I circulate water and add chlorine?

I think that is the way to go. I went out this evening and pulled the cover back just enough on the deep end and with the light on I could see the bottom. Lots of crud down there like usual in the spring but the water is pretty clear. The warm top layer only goes down about a foot or so and then the water is still cold. I did put a chlorine floater under there with some tabs but tried not to disturb it too much. I also put some more water on the winter cover so the surface water under the cover will stay cooler for a few more days. We are back in the 80's for a few more days so that should help too. Luckily June wasn't really hot, we had lots of rain and cool temps.
    20,000 Gallon IG Vinyl (first season 2000)
    Solar Heat
    2 Speed Rebuilt pump
    Sand filter
    cooldude.com/pool-1.jpg

+ Reply to Thread