+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Liner Floating, Bulging Walls in Inground Pool

Default Vinyl Liner Floating, Bulging Walls in Inground Pool

Hello,

It has been a bit since I posted on the forum, but you all have been of great help to me before and now Im back to resource your expertise further!

Three nights ago, my area here in Ohio experienced extremely rare heavy rains, and flooding, upwards of 8" within 3 hours...and it continued off and on the entire evening. All totaled, we received about 12 inches in a span of 24 to 48 hours.

The next morning i noticed my liner bulging from my pools, worse in the shallow end but all along the sides of pool. My pool was completely full, and there also was a puddle of standing water all along my concrete deck. This has never occurred within 12 years of me living here, but I also have never seen this much rain!

My yard is completely saturated and full of standing water. I somewhat understand that this could be ground or surface water causing this with a really high water table, but I am very concerned that I should try and do something to remove the water and pull the liner back into place.

Currently we are still very wet and although the ground water has receeded some, I still have puddles of standing water around my pool, still have the bulging around the entire pool.

I have continued to keep my water level in pool very high, almost to the edge, but about a half inch from top of skimmer. I also have just kept it running, and have continued to add chlorine to keep it clear.

Is there something else i should be doing? or as the ground water table goes down, will this somewhat fix itself and the bulging go down? I can live with some wrinkles but i cant stand to keep seeing the bulges!

Am I doing the right thing here, and are there any suggestions?

Thank you so much for the help!
    16'x36' rectangle 21K gal IG vinyl pool; Trichlor feeder, & hand dispense; Fox pools sand filter; A O Smith, Century, 3/4 horse pump; hrs; HTH 6 way test kit, drops; well; PF:5.7

Unhappy Re: Vinyl Liner Floating, Bulging Walls in Inground Pool

Hello, Wapak. I am sorry for your troubles!!!

We had the same storm and my liner floated too. Wrinkles everywhere: sides and floor. I worked like crazy, but I now have NO wrinkles. Took me a whole day and I am still muscle sore! There is HOPE, but it's work.

While there is still floating (water under the liner) get in the pool and push the wrinkles/bulges towards the edges/sides of the pool. Use your feet (gym shoes can help) to push. A squeegee can help push towards the wall/floor junction. Do the floor first. The squeegee is especially useful with the wall wrinkles by standing on the outside edge and pulling up towards you. Many wall wrinkles can be pushed up by hand from within the pool; work bottom up. Use a clean plunger or suction cups to pull the tough ones out. Avoid creating bigger wrinkles by moving away from them in small increments.

If it is floating significantly less now, pull an edge of the liner away from the coping and put a hose between the walls and the liner to re-add water causing more floating. Weird, I know. Just enough to get enough float so you can push the water to the edges. Once the water receeds, you have to do this to get the wrinkles out. Then? Repeat the above process.

I hope by buldging you just meant big bubbles and not a structural bulge.

I will edit the above after it posts, but want to get a response out ASAP. Look at the thread and not the email to get my complete answer. Time is of the essence. Once wrinkles get larger with a lot of liner in them, they are tough to budge.

See also: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...r-Big-Wrinkles
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 06-19-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Multiple misspellings and additions. I'm tired and it's late.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Default Re: Vinyl Liner Floating, Bulging Walls in Inground Pool

Thanks for the detailed response! Yes, it is only liner bulges,nothing structural that i can see. And fortunately it appears the liner is somewhat staying place...the bottom corners are all still where they should be, just the liner bulging away from the walls

Before you attempted to push out the wrinkles, did the ground water receed eventually naturally out from behind your liner or did you have to pump that out?

The water has been receeding some, but its still rained everyday so my bulges continue to stay. Everything is holding in place as far as the coping in the liner track and the steps.

I tried earlier gently and easily pushing on the bulges from the floor to the top w my pool broom, but it only moved the water towards the bottom or down the wall.

I also have some photos of my problem but im not sure how to add them here.

Thanks again!
    16'x36' rectangle 21K gal IG vinyl pool; Trichlor feeder, & hand dispense; Fox pools sand filter; A O Smith, Century, 3/4 horse pump; hrs; HTH 6 way test kit, drops; well; PF:5.7

I did not pump water out from behind my liner. There was only enough behind it to lift the liner up slightly.

Try to upload photos to photobucket and then link here with the add photo icon.

A brush won't have the same pushing power as your hands or a squeegee. There is a type of rubber squeegee that has curved edges that you can attach to a pole. I also have a rubber pool "brush" that has a squeegie on the opposite end, but those are hard to find.

If the water is just sinking back down the wall when you push it, you might try pulling the coping out a tad and see if you can push the water out?

See if you can load those pics.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Dont know if these pics will show ok...i am new to photobucket!

Thanks for your help!

Did you use the add link icon? You paste the URL in there. I was able to see them though on the email notification direct to photobucket, but I can't enlarge them, and no one else would be able to either.

You have no wrinkles on the bottom?

Have the sidewalls shifted laterally? Hard to tell with the small pics.

Those ARE bulges! That's a lot of water. I do think you will need to pull a small section of coping out to release some of the water before it gets under the bottom.

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/ri...c.jpg.html?o=0

http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/ri...z.jpg.html?o=1

http://http://s1148.photobucket.com/user/richldorsett/media/20150619_081053_zps43jbcugz.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Lets see if this works...I was using the add image icon, this time i am using the add link icon...hope the pics will now display properly, thanks!

Well, now people other than me can see them too by following those links.

Are those bulges still filled with water? I think you will need to pull the coping out above one and see if you can push the water up and out.

Are there any wrinkles on the bottom?

I have had some of the liner floating up on specifically on the shallow end bottom, just like a small linear bulge here and there. and some of these bulges have appeared on my side slopes to the deep end, but as I try to push the 'bubbles' they just move to a different location when i go over with the pool broom,

Now in my deep end, at the very bottom near the drain, i have always had a couple small wrinkles that appeared after a winter bout 4 years ago. but they have never been much of an issue and are barely noticeable once pool is opened.

If the liners have moved some, they have not affected the position of the bottom corners, the corners, even under my return jets seem to still be staying in place.

I have not messed with it much, I attempted to think the first day, if I eased the pool broom over from top to bottom i may push the water back to the ground surrounding pool, but that seemed to only move the water to different location so all i have done is just tried to keep my pool full so that the weight of the water would help keep as much as i could in place.

I will try to un attached the liner in a small spot and try to push some out the top as soon as it stops raining!!! yes raining again today...

thanks again,

Well, update when you can. In the meantime, I would do everything you can to keep water from getting under the bottom, so I wouldn't push down. Sides are much easier to fix!

+ Reply to Thread