+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Liner Floating, Bulging Walls in Inground Pool

Default Re: Vinyl Liner Floating, Bulging Walls in Inground Pool

You bet. Thank you so much for your help, I will update here with any progress!
    16'x36' rectangle 21K gal IG vinyl pool; Trichlor feeder, & hand dispense; Fox pools sand filter; A O Smith, Century, 3/4 horse pump; hrs; HTH 6 way test kit, drops; well; PF:5.7

We've had our liner float/bulge a couple times due to big rain events. Fortunately we didn't end up with any wrinkles; the liner settled back into place as the surrounding ground water receded.

Formerbromineuser gave some great suggestions for dealing with wrinkles.

I can only suggest to do your best to guide the liner back into place as the groundwater recedes (hopefully soon).
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking that most of the water got behind the liner through the coping and not primarily from groundwater. I am thinking that because you have very few bottom issues.

Do you think your water level got above the coping liner seam during the storm?

If so, I am thinking that as soon as the rain slows down a bit, you need to reduce the amount of water behind the walls before it gets under the bottom.

Leave a bit in so you can still shift the liner to get it back in place. Maybe two people working. One inside pushing/lifting up, and one outside slowly siphoning (or even adding if you need more shift).
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/...pslip1s601.jpg

I have some good news!

I mentioned in my earlier post, i had a standing puddle of water surrounding my concrete deck. My pool is surrounded with a top layer of river rock over hard soil. It was my thinking that if i could possibly eliminate some of that surface water it would help.

So, as soon as it stopped raining, which luckily we did not get much today, i took my pool vacuum hose, hooked it up to my wall skimmer, and set the end down into a little makeshift ditch I had made in the rocks. The ditch immediately filled up with water and stuck the end in it. I set my pump on half and half, and kept on filter; half the water was coming from my deep end and the other half from this ditch in the rocks.

it was my thinking that I could try to just transfer the water from outside of my liner to inside my liner at a slow pace by just drawing the water to this side of my concrete deck that seems to hold alot of water. Without removing my liner at all.

I didnt expect the results i got! COMPLETE FIX WITHIN 3 HOURS! I just let the hose continue to draw water and it kept pouring into the hole, it seems to have drawn and transfered all the water outside my liner, to inside equalizing the pressure. Once it was dry ditch drawing no water i stopped.

While it was doing this, i did as you mentioned, and by hand kept pushing wrinkles out slowly from bottom to top.

It surprised me that this worked, but it did-I put a picture on here of how i dug my ditch in the rocks (was barely 4 inches deep) and then laid the end of the hose in the water. the water that was drawing was amazingly clear, so like i said i went ahead and had it running through my skimmer then filter.

The end result after the hose was no longer drawing any water was just three little tiny wrinkles, but they really seem to still be small bubbles in two of my corners, bout 3 inches long--i need to work those out, but unbelievable that my walls and floor are back to ok and normal-NO BULGES!

I will keep you posted if this does not hold, but thankfully we are expected to have somewhat dry weather the next couple days.

thank you all for your help so far, I appreciate it!
    16'x36' rectangle 21K gal IG vinyl pool; Trichlor feeder, & hand dispense; Fox pools sand filter; A O Smith, Century, 3/4 horse pump; hrs; HTH 6 way test kit, drops; well; PF:5.7

Sweet!
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

That's super!!! I have read your post several times and I am not understanding something.

You were siphoning off water into your ditch, but where were you pulling the water from? Did you pop the liner out of the coping? It sounds like you had it in your skimmer? What am I not getting?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    That's super!!! I have read your post several times and I am not understanding something.

You were siphoning off water into your ditch, but where were you pulling the water from? Did you pop the liner out of the coping? It sounds like you had it in your skimmer? What am I not getting?
    I believe Wapak was pulling water out of the "ditch" and putting it in the pool.

Basically, i shovelled out a small area in the rocks which surround my concrete pool deck just with my hands, i say ditch but it was more likr a small hole. Water pooled immediately in this, i stuck the end of vacuum hose in the small gathering of water. Well it sucked water for about three hours, and my liner while this was working immediately began to go back to proper place. As i noticed this, i bagan to work any wrinkles i saw out with ny hands from bottom to top of liner walls.

The water i was vacuuming from this small ditch/hole i actualky ran thru filter and i was putting into the pool, and true to physics, my pool water did not rise. I think it simply transfered the water that was behind the liner to the pool. This seems to have increased the pressure back to pool water which then pushed the liner back to its position.

I did not remove the liner at all from its track but this seemed to transfer all the water that was behind my liner, to the pool.

I think I understand now. Good job!!!! Very impressive solution! i am so glad that the liner went back into the right places. I was concerned cause it looked like there might be some lateral shifting.

How long were you in the pool today?

Is there enough give behind the liner to remove the last small spots?

Maybe your next job is to dig in some drain tile from your "ditch" area to somewhere lower???

Sorry for all the spelling errors in my previous post...my phone is not the best to type on but i hope that explained what i did a little better!

The photo shows the end of my vacuum hose with no vacuum head attached, laying in the puddle of water which formed in the small hole/ditch i dug with my hands in the river rock surrounding my concrete deck. the other end of hose was attached into my skimmer!

I worked on easily working the liner and wrinkles for about 2-3 hrs while the filter pumped ...i stopped when it got darker and the hose was no longer drawing water from my hole/ditch.

Yep i felt the small ones yet to work out and as of right now they werent a hard type crease more like a bubble. Im going to get those out in am. They are located in the two corners of my return jets.

A drain tile is definetly something i will do in future. I know the rain we had was really rare but i sure would like to avoid this in the future!

+ Reply to Thread