+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shelf life of K-2006 elements

Default Shelf life of K-2006 elements

I have had my k-2006 Taylor kit since July 2011, thanks to your recommendation. What is the shelf life of the elements. I have replace the DPD Powder, R0871 and r-0013. However, the other are my originals.

Default Re: Shelf life of K-2006 elements

Hi. Be sure to keep the kit cool and out of the sun and inside during the winter.

Here is a post by the expert: (the link he lists is useful for checking reagents)

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    See Recognizing a Compromised Reagent from the Taylor website. I list below the chemicals found in various kits, grouped roughly by shelf life based on their content.

Indicator Dyes and FAS-DPD (most sensitive; replace at least every 2 years if kept in cool dark place; if not cool, replace every year)
    R-0004/R-0014 Phenol red pH indicator dye (different concentrations for sample size); also contains a mix of proprietary chlorine neutralizers (not thiosfulfate)
    R-0600 Orthotolidine (OTO), chlorine indicator dye
    R-0870 N, N-diethyl-p-phenylenediamine (DPD), powdered indicator dye plus phosphate buffer, EDTA and organic acid
    R-0871 Ferrous ammonium sulfate (FAS), titrant reagent; usually modified for stability as with Ferrous Ethylenediammonium Sulfate (FEAS)
    R-0008 Bromocresol green and Methyl red, Total Alkalinity (TA) indicator combination dye
    R-0011L 1-(2-Hydroxy-1-naphthylazo)-2-naphthol-4-sulfonic acid sodium salt (Calcon), Calcium Hardness (CH) indicator dye

Indeterminate shelf-life -- play it safe and replace every 2 years
    R-0003 Potassium iodide, DPD Reagent #3 used for combined chlorine (CC) test (or Total Chlorine test in some kits) - sunlight plus oxygen oxidizes it
    R-0007 Sodium thiosulfate, chlorine neutralizer
    R-0012 Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA), Calcium Hardness (CH) titrating reagent -- published shelf-life 18-48 months
    R-0013 Melamine, Cyanuric Acid (CYA) reagent; usually has pH buffers to force low pH; forms melamine cyanurate in the test

Acids/Bases (least sensitive; essentially no degradation)
    R-0005 Hydrochloric acid, acid demand reagent
    R-0006 Sodium hydroxide, base demand reagent
    R-0009 Sulfuric acid, for TA titration
    R-0010 Sodium hydroxide, Calcium Hardness (CH) buffer (precipitates magnesium hydroxide to test only calcium hardness)
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Default Re: Shelf life of K-2006 elements

perfect. Thanks for the information.

+ Reply to Thread