Here are my #'s:
    FC-6.0
    CC-0.0
    PH-7.6
    ALK-80
    CH-310
    CYA-75/80
    BORATE-50

Last week I shocked with 2 bags dry shock. Raised it to 20ppm, at the time my CC was 0.6. shut SWG off for 4 days till FC reached 6.0 and turned it back on set at 20%.
    All is well with #'s and pool is sparkling clear, but....I smell chloramine's/chlorine on my skin when I come out of the water. My test shows 0.0. Any ideas?
    11250 oblong plaster pool with cage. Auto Pool Pilot SWG Taylor K2006 test kit 100 sq ft cartridge filter. Located Central Fl.

Default Re: Chloriamines/Chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by sixtz4me View Post
    Here are my #'s:
    FC-6.0
    CC-0.0
    PH-7.6
    ALK-80
    CH-310
    CYA-75/80
    BORATE-50

Last week I shocked with 2 bags dry shock. Raised it to 20ppm, at the time my CC was 0.6. shut SWG off for 4 days till FC reached 6.0 and turned it back on set at 20%.
    All is well with #'s and pool is sparkling clear, but....I smell chloramine's/chlorine on my skin when I come out of the water. My test shows 0.0. Any ideas?
    That smell on you skin is normal. It's the chlorine reacting with dead skin cells, oils, etc on your skin producing some CC that you smell.

I take it your pool doesn't smell that way?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

If you sweat more, then the ammonia will react very quickly with chlorine in the pool to form monochloramine. That is more dependent on how much ammonia/sweat you have than the chlorine level in the pool though once you get out the FC level will determine the capacity for how much will still react if you continue to sweat. If you rinse off with tap water then that will reduce the amount of continued reaction assuming the tap water FC is lower than that of the pool water (and note that some tap water has monochloramine and not chlorine).

With an SWG, you can probably have your FC at 4 ppm and be fine in terms of preventing algae growth. That will be somewhat less chlorine to react with your sweat when you get out of the pool.

Note that the chloramine smell is different than the "fresh chlorine bleach" smell you might notice if you churn up the water in the pool itself. That smell of hypochlorous acid has an intensity proportional to the FC/CYA ratio. If you wanted to get to a lower FC/CYA ratio (which at a constant CYA would also be a lower FC level), then you'd need to use supplemental measures such as phosphate removers that obviously are extra cost.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

Yup. I go into the pool "clean". Never get the smell. My hubby dives in to "clean up" when he is hot, filthy, and sweaty after doing yard work. YUCK! (He says that's what a pool is for, right? To cool off and get clean?) Sometimes he notices the skin/smell thing. His bad.

Ditch the "dry shock". Your CYA is fine. Bags o' "shock" will raise your CYA.

Noticed that you said CC was 0.6. Try using a 10ml sample for you FC/CC instead of the 25ml. Just multiply by 0.5 instead of 0.2. It helps save reagents.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 06-17-2015 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Accidental link. Darn cell phones...
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread