+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Benchmarking a possibly-expired test kit

Default Re: Benchmarking a possibly-expired test kit

Here's my story:
    I took 0.25mL of bleach, from what I mentioned is labelled "14 302 19:10 A4 K1", from an eye dropper, added it to 2.5L of water from my dehumidifier and mixed it thoroughly. Then when I tested it, the FC came to 1ppm. The TC was a little hard to tell, because it was a different colour, but it was as least as dark as 3ppm. So what does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by FormerBromineUser View Post
    ...CarlD..: (and) I quote, "So, if you pour 1.88ml of bleach/liquid shock/liquid chlorine into 5 gallons of fresh water, you should get the same FC reading as if you dump 1 gallon into 10,000 gallons of water." .
    Well, again I was hoping Carl would chime in... but it sounds to me like you reagent is too old.

Are you anywhere near a border to the US to get a kit? If not, get an OTO or HTH 6-way test kit.

How is your pool looking? Does it feel slimy at all?
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Well, w/a roof antenna, I can get CBS and PBS, but not ABC. The short answer though is: not close enough.

The pool appears to be in very good shape. Thing about chlorine is the tests last season didn't cause me to do anything different--it seemed that the chlorine was always where I wanted it. However, I did have minor problems w/alkalinity and pH.

Is there somewhere I can go to just get individual reagents? I don't even think I use some of them, and if some are still good, then I can just replace the bad ones (which will then beg the question: how do I know what's bad?). I did find a place that doesn't seem to want to ship to Canada

As for knowing which are bad, did you check the link I gave you from Taylor?
    You might want to call some pool stores around you and see if they carry them. Here in the US, it's so easy...
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 06-17-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Taylor can't ship to Canada.... Shoot
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

Somehow I missed the Taylor link. As for the reagents that were specifically discussed: they all seem to be in good condition. However, half the reagents I have weren't discussed. One of them was R-0001 and you said you think my chlorine-testing reagents were expired.
    I called my local pool store and they say they have everything I need, but I wonder if they have the exact same thing. Some of these reagents have very picky sounding names like "R-0007 THIOSOLFATE N/10". Are they as picky as they sound?

Yes, some reagents can be of different concentrations. Find out exactly what the pool store has, and then do some research on Taylor's site to see if they say what the equivalents are. You really can't mix and match some of them as they are calibrated to work at the correct strengths.

Here is the original link I gave you on checking reagents: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Ch...SP?ContentID=2

This might help. It's a search for reagents: http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr...nts_search.asp

Actually, the link you gave me the first time worked. This time it just abbreviated it or something (that autocorrect acting up again?)
    Ok, I just went to look at the specs for R-0007 and holy frijoles... it gave me
    Code:
    A = .75 oz (22 mL), A-24 = .75 oz (24 pack), A144 = .75 oz (144 pack), B = 2 oz (60 mL, wide-mouth),
    C = 2 oz (60 mL), C-12 = 2 oz (12 pack), D = 4 oz, DD = 8 oz, DB = dropper bottle, E = 16 oz, F = 32 oz,
    F4 = 32 oz (4 pack), G = gal, G4 = gal (4 pack), H = 25 g, I = 10 g, II = 50 g, J = .25 lb, K = 1 lb,
    Z = 1,000 pack, Z-10 = 10,000 pack, Z-50 = 50,000 pack
    Is this what I asked for from the pool store guy?
    Everybody into the puel!

Is your current bottle labelled R-0007? If so, then those are just different quantities of the same concentration. You want A, C, or D; 0.75oz, 2oz, and 4oz respectively.
    The cost goes down as the quantity goes up, just like most product packaging. It boils down to what the pool store carries as Taylor is tough to get in Canada. Make sure they have TAYLOR R-0007.

Yes, one of them is "R-0007 THIOSOLFATE N/10". Since but I don't usually use half of a bottle in one season, I might as well get the smallest. As for the concentration: if it's Taylor, it's the right concentration and if it isn't, it's anybody's guess?
    Everybody into the puel!

You are good if they have TAYLOR R-0007. If they are Taylor reagents and the numbers match, you are good. The letters after R-0007A or R-0007C are just the size designation.
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 06-20-2015 at 02:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread