+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is there a "correct" CYA?

Default Is there a "correct" CYA?

Just wondering if there is an ideal range for CYA? I am at 50-ish now and have an urge to push it higher. However, I wonder if that's going to just cause me to use more chlorine for little or no reason.

Free Chlorine 6.5
    Combined Chlorine 0.5
    PH 7.4
    Total Alkalinity 80
    Calcium Hardness 160
    CYA 50
    Phosphates 125
    25,750 ga 18x36 Rectangle IG Vinyl liner; Hayward 250 sand filter; 1.5 hp pump. PF=4.4

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Default Re: Is there a "correct" CYA?

A higher CYA level even with a proportionally higher FC level (so constant FC/CYA ratio) results in a lower absolute FC loss per day. This may be due to some CYA shielding effect in addition to its protection by binding to most of the chlorine. So if you are in a sunny area with high FC losses, then a higher CYA level can help. The main risk to a higher CYA level is if you have to shock the pool if for some reason you let the chlorine level get too low and algae started to develop. The shock level would be proportionately higher at higher CYA levels so that means you would use more chlorine. So I wouldn't go any higher than 80 ppm CYA for that reason.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

ChemGeek knows his stuff!

In my non-technical world, I keep my CYA as low as I can. I base my CYA level on losing no more than 2ppm FC on a daily basis (maybe a tad more after a party in August...). If my daily FC loss was above 2 to 2-1/2, I would raise my CYA slowly and adjust all ideal ranges in proportion.

You don't mention how your testing is done. Phosphate reading makes me curious. I see you have a PF number...
    Last edited by FormerBromineUser; 06-08-2015 at 01:54 AM.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

If memory serves, I was losing 1.5 PPM of FC per day LAST season. I haven't tested that this season. Our pool doesn't get sun until about 11am and goes back in shade about 6pm this time of year.

So if I am understanding it correctly, higher CYA means lower daily loss?
    25,750 ga 18x36 Rectangle IG Vinyl liner; Hayward 250 sand filter; 1.5 hp pump. PF=4.4

Not sure who you were responding to, but Richard explains it better than me for sure!

The primary reason for having CYA is to protect your FC from sunlight. If you get that much shade, you should be good keeping CYA lower.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Yes, higher CYA with proportionately higher FC to prevent algae growth results in a lower absolute FC loss per day. However, it doesn't sound like you get full sun all day long so your losses are probably already reasonable so you probably don't need to go above 50 ppm CYA.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

+ Reply to Thread