+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Residue left in bucket after dissolving Cal Hypo--throw it in or throw it out?!

Question Residue left in bucket after dissolving Cal Hypo--throw it in or throw it out?!

I normally use liquid pool shock for all my chlorinating, but when I checked my calcium hardness, it was 120. I have a vinyl pool and I know it's not a huge deal, but I figured I could use some Cal Hypo periodically for chlorination in order to bump up my calcium without impacting the CYA. I found a great price on 73% Cal Hypo that is about equal to buying a bottle of liquid shock for $2. Here's my question--in the past, I always am left with a white, dusty residue after dissolving Cal Hypo in a bucket. No matter how much I stir, it always seems to settle out to the bottom eventually. Is this the calcium? A binder? Should I just dump it out because it no longer has the "good stuff" in it? Or is there still stuff in there that needs to dissolve? I just remember when I had my little Intex pool, that there would always be white gunk on the bottom of my pool after shocking. I hated it!

24,000 vinyl pool, CYA 40, TA 110, CH 120, Ph 7.4, FC 5, CC 0, Borates 40 ppm

Default Re: Residue left in bucket after dissolving Cal Hypo--throw it in or throw it out?!

I am pretty sure it's the calcium. When I add cal-hypo I put it I'm my skimmer and then swish the skimmer housing until it all disappears. My instinct says to just keep diluting until it's gone, but that's instinct.
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread