+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tears near the sewn section patched but still leak

Default tears near the sewn section patched but still leak

I had the pool up for one summer in 2013 when I bought it. I took it down and moved but didn't get it up last summer. I put it up last weekend and discovered five separate "tears/rips" and patched them as I was filling the pool. The rips are just below the sewn section on the side. It is very close to where the stitching is and I think that may be why my patches are not 100% leak free as part of the patch covers the stitching and I think that may be allowing water to seep through. If you imagine as the pool starts to turn in from the side to the bottom of the pool is where these are. I have the pool completely filled and it lost 1" last night in a 22'X52" pool. Google foo has taught me to get the Boxer 100 vinyl adhesive but I wanted to get anyone's take who has experience with repairing these types of tears in case you have any advice for me.
    10.4K gal 22' x 4.3' Intex Ultra; 40 GPM cartridge filter pump (56633EG); type B cartridges.

Default Re: tears near the sewn section patched but still leak

I used the clear patch material and glue that's available in most box stores first. One part that had two 1" tears with 1" between them I put a patch on the outside as well. Looking through the clear patch through the water; I could see those 1" years had opened up into dollar size holes. I went and got boxer 100 and thicker more "stretchy" patch pieces that were also larger. I went under water and cut the loose edges on the clear patches and hen cut round corners on the new patches and made them 4" wider then the clear patches. I used the boxer 100 to glue them over the clear patches. I repeated that with all he patches already done. After clearing the pooled water from the previous leaks, it appears to no longer be leaking. I topped off the pool so now we will see in the morning if my water level drops. I will likely go on the outside and place a patch on the outside as I did the inside tomorrow but I need more material.
    10.4K gal 22' x 4.3' Intex Ultra; 40 GPM cartridge filter pump (56633EG); type B cartridges.

I can't help, sorry. Thank you for detailing your experience. Let us know how the outer patch goes!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Whenever I have to patch a hole I automatically double-patch it. I use Boxers right from the start and prefer to patch with scraps of liner as they are thicker than the clear patches, and seem to hold more permanently. So a 1/2" hole will have a about a 3x3" patch first, then a 5x5 or 6x6" patch over it. I work especially hard to ensure the edges are sealed and use a black rubber tile roller to ensure the glue is everywhere. Underwater patching is a pain but with practice you get better. You have to watch the glue doesn't float onto your skin and hair, and wear goggles for safety. You do NOT want that stuff floating into your eyes! Use old goggles that you can throw away if you must if the glue gets on them, or can save for the next patch.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread